Thursday, October 29, 2020

Boldly Leaping Into the 20th Century

Tomorrow morning we will take the leap into the 20th century as we will finally have a rural internet service installed.  We've been paying a little extra to be able to hot spot our phones to use our laptops and tablets, but it will be nice to actually have internet to be able to access the full range of options for TV programing, video streaming, etc.

Rural internet options are limited and expensive, especially if you have high internet needs or use real time online gaming. Fortunately, we have neither of those and will be satisfied with a lower cost satellite server. Even so, internet for a couple of low tech retired folks shouldn't cost this much. Families with kids in school or that run small businesses from home (or small rural businesses) should have affordable access to the information (or often misinformation) super highway. For us, it's a part of the trade-off for fewer neighbors, quiet nights, and starry skies. For others it is forced isolation due to low income or poverty.

I am looking forward to being able to better use my outdoor TV, as well as being able to stream videos and shows to our indoor sets. I probably shouldn't be as excited as I am to be rejoining the connected world, but there's a little low tech kid in me that thinks it's cool.
It's funny when you realize that I'm typing on a Bluetooth keyboard that's connected to an old, broken 2 in 1 Windows laptop/tablet (keyboard doesn't work) that's mounted in a cheap old folder (using Velcro) from an even older and cheaper android tablet knock-off. I'm pretty much the epitome of an old guy trying to be cool in the techie world but falling way short!

sigh

At least I'm okay with it. I am actually happy that I don't feel the need to always be connected. I could manage well without my Words with Friends 2 habit on my smarter than I am android phone. I doubt that I'd experience withdrawal symptoms if Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter crashed simultaneously. Nor do I think that the world would miss one more political post or cigar pic from yours truly.

Perhaps all of our connectedness is just a poor substitution for building actual relationships with one another.
Hmmm...maybe there are things from the past that are worth holding on to after all.

John

2 comments:

Kevin Gilmore said...

Remember hearing claims that a personal computer would help you in so many ways, freeing up your time to have more of it to spend with family and blah blah blah? I do recall talk such as that. Obviously, it hasn't worked out that way for most of us. It has its plusses and minuses but so far, I'm content to have my connections at my fingertips although there are times when I wonder if it's worth it. I'm conflicted.

Mike said...

"...building actual relationships..."
You mean actual relationships in moderation?