Sunday, January 13, 2019

John, Chapter 9

John 9

In summary --

There are several things that I love about this story of Jesus giving sight to a man that was born blind.
This first is that Jesus contradicts the assumption that the man's blindness was caused by sin -- either his or his parents' sin. Jesus rejects their belief that his blindness is the result of sin and uses the moment to glorify God.

Once again, this miracle is used against Jesus.
Some insist that Jesus cannot be a man of God because he doesn't keep the Sabbath. Others say that a sinner could not perform such signs.
People question whether or not this man was blind. He is questioned. His parents are questioned. And then he is questioned again. I love the man's innocence. When the Pharisees ask about Jesus' whereabouts, the man asks if they want to become his disciple, too!

My favorite verse --

From the blind man's perspective, the miracle was simple to explain.

25 He answered, "Whether he is a sinner I do not know. One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see."

Something to think about --

We often complicate simple things when there is a simple explanation. Sometimes the answer is as simple as giving God credit for the good things in life; as simple as knowing that God loves us and Jesus died for us.

John <><



No comments: