Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Cold in the Midwest & a February Daily Devotion

The cold temperatures of the polar vortex have made their way to Southwest Missouri in the way of dipping into the single digits; 7f (-14c) in Ozark this morning. We had a little bit of snow last night, as well.

I was up early today for a breakfast meet, but the weather caused some local school/daycare closings so my breakfast partners were unable to make it.
No worries. I've had a productive morning.
Coffee, quiet, computer.
Life is good.

I've been thinking about a little something different in the way of posting for Haiku February. At first I was thinking of doing a devotional haiku each day. I kind of enjoyed the daily devotional through The Gospel According to John over the past few weeks. I imagine that trying to summarize a chapter of Matthew's gospel into a three line haiku will be a little challenging, but I think I'll give it a shot. I may have to use more than a single haiku on occasion. I don't know.

In any case, while the daily devotional was good for me and served a purpose other than just writing, it didn't do much for blog traffic. Posting daily vs. my usual sporadic posts always helps with readership, but this time -- not so much.
And that's okay. I try to keep in mind that I started writing just to get in the habit of writing and the blog has always been more of a place to spill thoughts out of my head (or Out of My Hat) than any thing else. I don't get paid for anything based on readership or ad clicks, so other than the ego boost, it doesn't really matter.

I'll post a link to the bible chapter each day so you can read it. Then you can see if the haiku gives a decent representation of the chapter. If you'd like, you can leave your own haiku in the comments.
I have to admit that I've found daily haiku writing to be a challenge the past couple of Februaries, so I'm not sure if this is going to work out well. We shall see.

John <><

2 comments:

Kevin Gilmore said...

A daily routine
Benefits the soul and more
An anchor of sorts

John A Hill said...

Well done, my old friend!
I wasn't expecting that.
Caught me by surprise!