Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Not Your Typical Biker -- Or am I?

I still don't think of myself as a biker.

Part of the reason is that I still think of myself as a new rider. I've only had my motorcycle endorsement for 25 months. I'm nearly 58 and just started riding. I almost always ride alone. My bike is pretty simple -- no fairing or windscreen, no throttle lock or cruise control, no aftermarket seat, no radio or bluetooth sound system.
When I first got my bike, I rode often -- just to ride. Now I seldom ride just to ride, but I do use my bike as my primary means of transportation. If I'm going somewhere, I'm probably going on the bike.

I don't know anything about the biker life. I've been to one "Bike night" at a bar (not really my thing, but the free burgers and brats were a draw!) and to zero bike rallies. I've never participated in a Poker Run nor any other biker events. I don't belong to any biker clubs or groups, but I am on a few social media biker forums. I've only ridden with another rider a couple of times.

On the forums, I've noticed a few things.
It seems that most people (not all) use their bikes primarily for recreation.
Since recreation is the main use, they usually ride with others.
When you spend a lot of time with other people and other bikes, competition for looks and accessories is a natural thing -- even if it's only on a social media platform.
You can spend a LOT of money on your bike!

I have learned some good stuff from the bikers on the forums and I will continue to use them for the knowledge and info they provide. But I think I'll also continue as a lone wolf kind of rider. I enjoy the solitude and freedom that comes with going it alone and not having to consider another's plans or preferences.

In some ways, my ignorance of riding has been a blessing.
I didn't know that riding is purely recreational for most people -- so I rode for transportation as well as for fun.
I didn't know that a stock seat was supposed to hurt your back and butt after a couple of hours -- so I rode all day with the factory seat.
I didn't know that you can't take a long trip or ride in cold or rainy weather without a windshield -- so I took it off and rode on long trips and in all kinds of weather.
I didn't know that motorcycles have a "riding season" -- so I rode year 'round and just dressed for the weather.

I've ridden 500 miles round trip to have lunch with a friend and 600 miles round trip to watch a AAA baseball game. This summer I'l be making an 1100 mile round trip for a UFC fight in Chicago and I think I'll ride to St Louis on Thursday (500 miles rt) to watch a Cardinal's day game against the Mets.

When it comes to stereotypes, I'm not much of a biker.
I just ride.

John <><

2 comments:

Mike said...

You're probably more of a biker than most. I've had my motorcycle endorsement for 50 years but haven't had a bike for 45.

Saitama said...

I have been a fan of biking and body building from a long time. I read your post and it sounds great. Keep posting such wonderful posts.