Thursday, April 12, 2018

Following Jesus is more difficult than you'd think...

It's been several nights since I've been at home and able to sleep in my own bed.
Whew! It was nice.

Last weekend was the annual Pulaski Association Evangelism Conference in St Robert, MO. I was unable to attend last year due to Chris' chemo treatments, so it was good to be back this year.
I really think that this was the best year!

I've been in a bit of a spiritual funk lately and having to work on messages to preach and lessons to teach with magic has helped me to get focused on how I am to be serving in God's kingdom. Listening to others preach about kingdom work has also helped me to get some good direction.

For the next several days I'll be preaching at Faith Baptist Church in Waynesville, MO and sharing some of what I've learned. Services are at 7 each night (Thu, Fri, Sat) and on Sunday morning (I should probably find out the time!).
Tonight we will be addressing what it means to be a follower of Jesus.

In Baptist church language, we're having a Revival.
The purpose of a revival is pretty much what you would expect -- to revive a body of believers, to bring them back to life (or at least back to being active in the kingdom). The Bible teaches that it is the Holy Spirit of God that gives us our spiritual life. It is also the Holy Spirit that will inspire and equip us to continue in the work of the church to make known the simple truths that I always preach: God loves you and Jesus died for you!

Once again, I've made the challenge to the church to share this message with somebody.
And once again, I've included myself in the challenge.
And once again, I'm going to have to get out of my house and interact with somebody if I am going to fulfill my part of the challenge.

I'm also going to give the graduate course part of the challenge.
In the letter of James (the brother of Jesus), James says that if someone is in need of food or clothes and you tell them to go in peace and be blessed, but you haven't provided for their needs, what good is that?
The next challenge is to go back to the person that you told "God loves you," and actually show them the love of God!

Hmmm...
This following Jesus thing is harder than you'd think.
Maybe that's why so few actually do...

John <><

3 comments:

Mike said...

I think if anyplace in Missouri needed Jesus it's St. Robert.

BootsandBraids said...

Your title "Following Jesus is more difficult than you think" made me think of a new TV show -- Living Biblically, where this guy has resolved to live according to words in the bible. It's hilarious -- like when he caught his friend having dinner with a woman not his wife, the bible said to stone adulterers, so he threw a pebble at him. Check the show out. You might find it entertaining.

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Alla youse gotta do, brudda, to be saved
is these two, easy tasks:

1) love God.
How easy is that??
God made U.S.
2) love each other
by serving the 'poor'
which means those who dont yet know of
how easy their salvation comes to U.S.
and/or the literal poor.

Those are the 2 main Commandments
we all MUST have when we croak.

God bless your indelible soul.
God love ya.
Cya soon Upstairs...