Friday, April 20, 2018

Homeward Bound

It's a few degrees above freezing in Chicago this morning and I'll be starting for home in just a little bit. I expect I'll be shedding layers somewhere along the journey home as the day warms and I get further south. It was a quick visit, but the kids have busy lives to live and daily jobs and all of the stuff that goes with being young married kids living in a big city. I was just happy to be close enough to make an unscheduled visit and see a baseball game with Aaron.

I got to enjoy a Doug's Dog (I think it's Hot Doug's) at the ballpark. I'm glad they have them there since I understand they have closed the store front operation they used to have. Although we talked about going someplace else for dinner, we ended up at the default selection -- Lagunita's Taproom, which is just fine with me. It's hard to pass up a chance for a Hogunitas sandwich -- layers of bacon, ham and pulled pork! Yum! If I lived as close to Lag's as the kids do, I'd weigh a ton!

This morning I plan to ride out of the Chicago metropolitan area before stopping for some breakfast and coffee, then it will be back on the road for another 170 miles or so before stopping for gas and lunch. I should be home in time to have dinner with Chris.

All-in-all, not a bad little trip.

*****

I am about an hour into my morning ride and stopped at Dwight for gas and a cup of coffee. Traffic out of the city was moving nicely this morning. I had planned a little more scenic route for the trip home from my parents' place, but with the added miles and time from Chicago, I think I'll just stick to the Interstates and get home today. I'm sure there will be another trip for a scenic route.
It's sunny and the temperature is already at 41f (5c) so it should be a pretty pleasant day on the highway. I haven't seen any other bikes on the road (yesterday, nor today), but expect to see a few before I make it to Ozark later this afternoon.

Time to get back on the road.
Be careful out there
...and watch for us old guys on motorcycles!

John <><

1 comment:

Mike said...

I'll be on an overpass and wave to you. Or not.