Sunday, April 22, 2018

Thoughts from the Highway (WARNING! I'm going to preach a bit)

It's a rainy Sunday morning in the Ozarks and a two coffee pot kind of day.
For my first indulgence of the day I went with a variation of the Thai coffee recipe in Hannah's Coffee Concoctions book and for the second, a variation of the Mexican coffee recipe. I'm just starting on the first cup of the second pot.

I have to say that I'm looking forward to the calmness that a gentle rain brings. The past two weeks have been pretty busy. From the 7th through the 10th was the Pulaski Baptist Association's annual evangelism conference. I followed that by staying for a revival at Faith Baptist Church in Waynesville from the 11th through the 15th.
I managed to get my bike in for servicing on the 16th and was on the road for 400+ miles on the 17th.
The 18th was spent with my folks and I accompanied them on a couple of doctor appointments followed by a nice dinner out. Thursday was an early ride to Chicago (130 miles), an afternoon baseball game with Aaron and dinner at Lagunita's. Friday I made the 535 mile ride home and yesterday we spent the afternoon working in the yard.

I plan on spending the afternoon sitting in my garage with a cigar in hand, the ballgame on my computer, and the rain falling gently outside past the open garage door.

A thousand miles on the highway with no radio gives a man plenty of time to think. I spent some of that time processing the evangelism conference, the revival, and my own role in the Kingdom. I get the feeling that my personal walk and call to preach is changing as I realize that there is so much more to the gospel story than how to get to heaven. If getting to heaven was the purpose in life, then we would better off dying the moment that purpose was fulfilled rather than having to endure the maladies of aging and the grind of living in a corrupt and violent world.

The lessons of the gospel are more about how to live our lives as our relationships with others reflect our relationship with God. Yes, eternity in heaven is the reward for living with Jesus as our Lord and Savior; but modern evangelicalism is teaching about the afterlife and forgetting about life on earth.
We've made collecting souls a sport. We tally our numbers and flaunt our buildings, buses and programs, but we miss out on teaching the Jesus way of life and offering the grace that God grants us to others.
We have made sin (the sin of others) our focus rather than the mercy and grace of God. God doesn't need us to judge others about their worthiness or unworthiness of salvation. We are all unworthy!
No, God's desire is for us to make his love and grace known to those that we encounter each and every day; to live a life like his son Jesus commands us to live.
For a quick look at some of Jesus' teachings, you can read The Sermon on the Mount. It will only take you about 10 minutes to read but much longer (like a lifetime) to learn and teach to others.

As a self-proclaimed Disciple of Jesus or Follower of the Way, I have to ask myself -- "How can I be more like Jesus -- today?"
If you are also a follower of Jesus, perhaps that question will be good for you, also.

And if you are not -- click on the above link and read The Sermon on the Mount. If that interests you, I'd recommend reading the Gospel of John. If you would like your own New Testament, drop me a note or leave a comment. I'd be pleased to send you one.

God loves you.
Jesus died for you.

John <><



1 comment:

Mike said...

There's nothing like rain that lets you enjoy the indoors.