Saturday, March 10, 2018

Facebook Groups and social networks

The other day I realized that my Facebook time has decreased quite a bit. I now follow fewer individuals but belong to more Facebook groups. Individuals are mostly relatives, some old classmates, a few air traffic controllers (mostly retired), and an small assortment of others.

The Facebook groups that I belong to are:
1 fitness group
1 diet group
1 writer's group
1 photography group
3 retired FAA or retired ATC groups
6 motorcycle groups (4 are specific to Kawasaki Vulcans)
I follow a number of other pages along with these closed groups. Between those pages and these groups, most of my feed is dominated by these and a few relatives and friends that post often.

On Twitter, I follow more fitness, diet and sporting sites. I think it's a little funny when fitness or health sites follow me back because I rarely post anything fitness or health related. I guess it's for the possibility that I might retweet something of their's.
Most of my Twitter feed is centered around sports (baseball, MMA, hockey), fitness and health, and news feeds. I don't follow as many personal friends on Twitter, but do follow more celebrities (mostly athletes and a few actors), some religious leaders (mostly Christian, but some Muslim and Eastern philosophies), several writers/authors, and a few politicians.
All in all, it's a pretty diverse group.

The blogs I now read fall into a similar group, many of them come from the people I follow on Twitter and the pages I "like" on Facebook.

What kind of groups do you join or follow and from where do you get your news and info?
Just curious...

John <><

4 comments:

Bilbo said...

I belong to a large number of FB groups, but am only active (as opposed to lurking) on three: a group of my old high school friends, alumni of my old college ROTC unit, and a closed group for similarly-minded political commentators. The others are all humorous sites. I get my news from The Washington Post, NPR, CNN, the BBC, and several other international news sites.

Mike said...

I've got about 40 friends. As far as groups I have a couple of AT&T retiree groups, Parents against gun violence, God, Meme GOP, Teabonics, Robert Reich, Sunset Hills police, Alternet, Mother Jones, Politifact, Southern Poverty Law Center, Huffpost, Storm is Coming, and more. I read more news on my browser... Google news, St. Louis Post Dispatch, PBS Newshour, BBC, Washington Post, Wired, and Salon.

Oh and for us introverts on Facebook; Canceled PLans, Introverts are Awesome, and Introvert problems.

But the best one I've found recently is Francesca Fiorentini doing Newsbroke.

John A Hill said...

I get Newsbroke on my YouTube subscriptions.

Kevin Gilmore said...

I too have been enjoying Newsbroke's videos. I've actually entertained thoughts of deactivating or even deleting my Facebook account but I'm still active there, just not as much as I once was. I have a Twitter account but I've never fully embraced the platform. I mostly lurk there and like other people's tweets. John Fugelsang and Anna Navaro get most of my likes.