Wednesday, March 21, 2018

What Would Jesus Do?

WWJD?

It used to be a thing.
You used to see it everywhere -- t-shirts, caps, bracelets, bumper stickers.

It isn't as much of a thing now -- not as a slogan, not in wearable merchandise, and certainly not in a way of practicing the Christian life.
Nope. We're pretty much back to doing what we want to do, hating whom we want to hate, making excuses for whomever we choose and then using our profession of Christian faith to justify our un-Christlike actions.

I often wonder how Christians in the US have become so fearful. I've read numerous articles on how the American Christian is being persecuted and is a dying breed. I really don't see the persecution and can't say that I've experienced any. I'm not saying that it's easy, nor am I saying that it is without its trials and objections. I am saying that I've been pretty free about being able to worship the god of my choosing, to worship God as I choose, and to be able to do so without infringement by those that worship a different god or no god at all.

When I see our religious leaders choosing political sides, promoting fear, and being divisive; I always wonder about their faith, first (since we are not given a spirit of fear) and their motives, second.
And I ask myself, "What would Jesus do?"

Somehow, I don't see Jesus as the kind of guy that would endorse a political party.
I can't even see him as a religious adviser to an elected official.
I don't imagine that he would ever be giving the inaugural invocation or speaking at a National Day of Prayer breakfast event.

I think we would find Jesus doing what Jesus did -- giving hope to the hopeless.
We would be more likely to find Jesus with the homeless than at a political fundraiser.
He would be ministering to the sick rather than stumping for or against a party's healthcare plan.
He would be with society's castaways -- the poor, the orphaned, the abandoned spouse, the refugee, the immigrant, etc. -- not with the elite deal makers and politicians.
And yes, I believe Jesus would admonish those that use their religious positions to advocate for a political party rather than to spread the message of God's love for all of humankind.

In truth, I haven't been very good about either -- not about being politically active as a US citizen, nor about being active as an ambassador of Jesus. As a matter of fact, I've begun to question my role as follower of Jesus. What, exactly, have I been peddling? Am I selling people a religion -- complete with all of its man made rules and regulations, or am I giving them hope in Jesus? Am I doing what Jesus would do or am I saying and doing what a religion says I should say and do?

I think I have been given a time to pause and consider these things so that I can better serve my God and Savior. I am torn. Part of me is still drawn to parts of the religion thing, but the rest of me despises what religion has become. Within the religious family it's all hugs and family like, but from the outside it's like an impenetrable private club where only the chosen few can be members. I feel like the rebellious child that wants everyone to know the love I've known and is being disciplined for wanting undesirables to join the club.

And so I have to ask myself --
What would Jesus do?

I'll let you know if I figure it out.

John <><

3 comments:

Mike said...

It's mainly the right wing extremists that claim to be Christian that are the problem. Claudia (and myself through association) belong to an oasis church that accepts everyone no matter what there persuasion.

John A Hill said...

Unfortunately, many otherwise good churches have become breeding grounds of fear and perpetuate the us vs them philosophy of the GOP. If you don't agree with them exactly, you are an enemy -- or in the church case a sinner that doesn't belong.

Mike said...

their