Sunday, February 11, 2018

Vacay -- Day 6 (and a little philosophy)

It is sunrise on Sunday morning and I am holding chairs by the pool for our group. It works out well for everyone that I am an early riser -- even while on a relaxing trip. Many of the chairs are covered pretty early but the people saving them don't show up until quite a bit later. I prefer to stay with the seats I'm reserving for our group. It gives me a chance for my coffee and quite time, a time to read, a time to blog, and a time to witness the sun rising over the Caribbean Ocean.

I'll write more about some of the artistic inspiration I've received from one of our travel companions when I'm back at home and have had more time to organize my thoughts. For now I'll say that I have had  some great conversations and made friends with a fellow seeker of truth. Though our journeys have taken us in very different directions, we share many of the same thoughts and ideas. I believe that a true seeker of knowledge has to have an open mind. I've said that although it is true that not all religions can be right, we rarely think that it is possible that we may all be wrong. Being skeptical or open to critical examination of your own beliefs (and I am) is not the same as doubting. It is merely wanting to know the truth -- if truth exists. And so it is that my new friend (an atheist) and I have had some great conversations.
I'm sure that we will stay in touch and we will again share what we have found along our life journeys and in our individual searches for truth.

Be well, my friends!
John<><

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus said, He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I believe His statement is proof enough that truth does exist. Just a thought...

John A Hill said...

In response to Anonymous--

I am a believer. However, as an apologist -- your statement, absent evidence of why Jesus should be believed, is meaningless in conversing with unbelievers. Somebody saying they speak the truth is not proof that they actually do.