Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Can we talk about food?

Being the retired half of our marriage, I now do most of the cooking in our home. We still eat out way too often and Chris does fix dinner on occasion, but for the most part, I'm the new chief cook and bottle washer 'round these parts.

I have to admit that most of my meals are pretty simple fare.
That's largely due to my lack of skillful experience in the kitchen, as well as a desire to keep clean up to a minimum. I often make use of the crock pot and have no aversion to preparing multiple meals at one time or planning on enough leftovers for a second meal.

For example --
Last week I put six chicken breasts in the crock pot to slow cook all day. At the end of the day, four of them went into the refrigerator for later use and we had a simple meal of pulled chicken bbq. I had mine on a sandwich of homemade sour dough bread and mixed greens. Chris had hers on the mixed greens without the bread.




Over the weekend I cooked up a skillet of black beans and onions, seasoned it with garlic, cumin and cayenne, chopped up and added two of the chicken breasts, stuffed the mix into Pablano peppers, covered it with cheese and baked it in the oven. I topped that with some chunky salsa and that was dinner #2.




I also had enough of the chicken and black bean mix left to make my breakfast the following morning. I just added three fried eggs, mixed greens and put it all on a tortilla!



Last night we used the remaining two chicken breasts to make a go to dinner in our home... fried rice. In our home, fried rice uses whatever leftover meat is available and whatever vegetables might be in the freezer or produce drawer. It is a different product every time.



I guess I should add that I rarely use a recipe. If I try something or see something that I think I'd like, I just try to figure it out or I make stuff up as I go.
One day Chris came home from work and asked, "What's for dinner?"
I said, "Well, it's an experiment."
With a sigh, she said, "Can't we just have normal food?"

It turned out pretty well (at least we didn't have to go out to eat)!
But that's another story for another day.

Dining at home does give us a little more control over what we eat (and how much). For the most part, we eat healthier meals at home, made with fresher ingredients.

Hmmm...
I wonder what we'll have tonight?

John <><
PS -- For those of you that already follow me on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, sorry for the re-runs. For those of you that don't -- this is what you're missing!

1 comment:

Big Sky Heidi said...

I like the notion of spreading out the results of cooking over several meals. Plus it tastes better!