Friday, January 30, 2009

Economizing

I know that we are all looking for ways to save money. I've picked up some things from friends and family and I'm sure that you have too. Some things are just simple sensible things and others are new information for me.

Some things are old information...it just takes me a while to move when it comes to change. For example: Angel Food Ministries. Now it has been several years since I was first told about Angel Food. I don't know why I didn't check it out then. I've known of several people that have benefited by adapting their weekly meals to include food purchased through angel food. Maybe I thought that it was some kind of charitable organization or that I would be taking food from somebody with a greater need than I had. In any case, we made our first purchase of food through the local VFW. They are the host organization in our area. You can follow the links from the home page to check if there is a distribution site near you or to see what is available on the menu for February. I would encourage you to read about Angel Food Ministries.



Chris fixed this from a recipe in the February magazine from Angel Food. The steaks and frozen peas were a part of the package that we purchased. The mushroom, bacon balsamic glaze recipe was published and the mashed potatoes are made with butter, raw milk, a little garlic and black pepper. Trust me, it tasted as good as it looks. We had chicken fajitas on Sunday and the rest of the one week menu is in the freezer waiting to be prepared. Last month's menu (January) also included chicken thigh/leg quarters, hamburger patties, rib tips, cheese manicotti and side dishes like rice, beans, frozen broccoli and frozen peas. There were a dozen eggs, individual packets of oatmeal, cookies and a quart of milk. All for just $30. Meals are figured for a family of four and that works out well since there are only three of us at home. A good portion for the meal and leftovers for lunch for either Chris or myself.

If you are in the US and it's available in your area, check it out. At the very worst you'll try it for a month, get a good deal on some food and know that it's not really for you.

On another economizing item, Chris has started making our own laundry soap. I'll have to get her recipe and post it at a later time. I will say that instead of paying for packaging and to ship water that could come from your own tap, you can just save the money for something else. You'll help to reduce your carbon footprint and save money at the same time! I'll get that to you sometime soon.

Until then...
bon appetit!

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

I put in my zip code and found 64 distribution sites within 20 miles of my house.

wv = spint ( I spint all my money )

Bilbo said...

I think I'm going to economize by moving in with Mike and letting he and Claudia feed me. Agnes can probably get by on what we'll save.

vw: unalv. The opposite of alv?

second try vw: vistagat. A panorama of guns?