Monday, June 17, 2013

Looking Ahead

Next weekend will find two groups of Hopedale members (around 50 in all) in the fields of services. One group will be headed back to Nicaragua with Project Hope and one group will be headed to Harlan County, KY in the Appalachian Mts. I'll be with the latter group.

Harlan County is one of the poorest counties in the country with a per capita income of less than $12,000/yr. (that's less than half of the per capita income of my home Christian County, MO). The 2000 census had the median household income at  $18,665.

The work that we'll be doing in and around Lynch, KY, will include clean up and minor home repairs for homes that have been identified by a local team. We will be bringing or buying the necessary materials and tools needed and providing the labor to get the job done. At this point, I have no idea of what I'll be doing. I bring no skills to the table other than a willingness to serve as directed. I imagine that I'll fall into the category of general labor, taking on the role of toting barges and lifting bales or whatever general laborers do.

I might pack a few magic effects to share in the moments that allow for such diversions, we'll see.

For myself, for my friends, and for those that we'll be serving in Kentucky and in Nicaragua, we covet your prayers. If I have time to update here, I will. Otherwise, updates can be found on Facebook or Twitter.

John <><

1 comment:

Big Sky Heidi said...

Best wishes to you with your trip to Harlan County. That's where Justified is set.