Sunday, August 03, 2008

According to John

A short while back I began a daily devotion going through the Gospel of John. As it sometimes happens, daily life interrupts and the best of intentions get cast to the side. I doubt that my daily devotions will turn into daily posts, but some probably will. It will help me to be more consistent and also help me to better fix in my own mind the lessons from John's writing.

The devotion is set up to read a chapter each day. It then asks three questions about what you've just read. Feel free to read along with me.

The questions are:

Something important I've learned:

The verse I liked best:

A question to consider:

John Chapter 1

Something important I've learned:

Though this is not something new, it is always good to be reminded that we are given the right to become children of God by our belief in Jesus (verse 12).

The verse I liked best:

I considered many verses before actually choosing a favorite. In the end it was one that spoke to me on a more personal level. I know that the He in verse 8 refers to John the Baptist, not John the evangelist (me), but just the same: (verse 8) He himself was not the light; he (John) came only as a witness to the light.
It reminds me of my call to preach; to bear witness to Jesus.

Another favorite would be verse 29.

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"

This is a significant statement because in the Old Testament practice, the blood of the Sacrificial Lamb was offered as an atonement for the sins of the people. The word translated to atonement means to cover over. John's statement did not say that this lamb would make an atonement (or cover over the sin of the world) but that the Lamb of God would take away the sin of the world.

A question to consider:

In verses 40-45 we find Andrew and Philip quickly telling their family and friends about finding the Messiah. My question would be--Have you (I) told anybody about Jesus recently?

John

The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
John 1:5

No comments: