While I would like to tell anyone asking that my deconstruction from evangelical Christianity is complete, I would also have to admit that I am still working out both who I am and where I am spiritually.
If I were to sum up my thoughts on evangelical Christianity in particular or religion in general I would have to say that religious people tend to worship religion -- not God. Throughout the Christian religions, Christians tend to worship Jesus, the Christ, rather than worshiping God, the Creator.
Even more so, they tend to worship this religion built around Jesus that has very little to do with the Creator at its center.
It seems that other religions have similar structures where they worship practices and doctrines more than an actual deity of some type.
Admittedly, there is a part of me that misses the euphoria of a worship experience. But I don't believe that I will ever go back to that.
I believe in, and recognize God as divine and as the Creator of all things, but I don't believe that this God wants, needs, nor expects my worship.
I can't really tell you what I think of an afterlife because I no longer consider an afterlife as something to influence my decisions of how I behave towards others, towards the planet, or even towards God. Just making good choices for today seems to be enough.
I haven't really thought of myself as a victim of church abuse or that I have experienced any kind of real trauma from churches, but that is beginning to change as I learn more about religious trauma in general and church trauma in particular. I'd say that my distrust of religions and churches (the people part of religion) is pretty equal, but in the end I believe that it's bizarre how far people are willing to go to make other people believe the same things that they believe -- yeah, think Crusades, concentration camps, burning at the stake, and even crucifixions.
It's pretty sad to go through life believing that people suck, but damn -- people suck!
Guard yourselves accordingly.
That can serve as my quotable(?) Wednesday Wisdom contribution for this week --
People suck. Guard yourselves accordingly.
John
Wednesday, September 02, 2026
Still Assessing; Still Learning
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment