Friday, September 25, 2026

Sleep

It's been a little longer than a month since I've been wearing this Fitbit Versa smart watch. 
Here are a few thoughts/observations.

I don't like that I cannot pause the step counting feature.
When I ride my motorcycle or mow the lawn (riding mower) there is enough vibration to make the watch think I am walking or riding a bicycle and track accordingly. It really isn't a big deal because actual steps don't matter that much to me. I mostly use the step count to monitor how active/inactive I am.

I like the sleep tracking feature, although I have no idea of how it works. I can see how the inactive period and heart rate might indicate when I am sleeping, but tracking restlessness, REM sleep, light sleep, and deep sleep is some kind of witchcraft or something.
Most nights I clock in at just under 6 hours of total sleep. Last night I was just over 8! I guess a day of yard work requires additional recovery.

Phone notifications are cool, but not really a feature that I use a lot. 
For me, the best feature is one that any simple watch would provide -- giving me the time.
Not pulling out my phone to check the time is a good thing and probably the feature I most appreciate. The weird thing is that I seldom really need to know the time. 

Mostly, it's more a matter of How much time until I have to do something else? or How long have I been doing whatever I'm doing? rather than knowing what the actual time is. As a fully immersed retired guy, I really don't need to know what time it is very often. Perhaps, I am just checking out of a lifelong habit that persists without purpose.

All-in-all, I'd give it an overall -- meh.
It is nice and functional.
It is more than I really need and underutilized. 
I'm glad I was able to use an insurance benefit to buy it rather than buy it outright. 
I should probably work on using more of its functions to better monitor my health.

     * * * * *

Yesterday I was heading out for coffee and there were school kids waiting for the school bus. I was thinking that it won't be long before we change time unless we keep DST and then they will be waiting in the dark. Seasonal changes can be hard.  
I was also thinking -- Damn, I'm glad I don't have to be up this early for work or school everyday!
Retirement does not suck.

Work a bit
Rest a bit
Eat a bit
Enjoy it all

John
 

No comments: