As a career air traffic controller I spent many Labor Days at work. With the current ATC staffing shortages there are many that are working their sixth day or adding a couple of extra hours to their normal work day today. I am happy that I got out when I did.
But -- there are no days off from being retired!
So I guess I'll work on a few things around the house today.
You can be sure that I will find time to rest, relax and reflect on my labor at varying points during the day, but like most celebration or observation holidays -- it's really just another day.
I think I may have a clogged vent on our clothes dryer that needs to be checked out and I need to get all of the air filters in our HVAC system changed. I also need to rearrange our garage to better accommodate using the motorcycle vs storing it. That's more than enough labor for a retired guy's day.
Sure, there is more to do, but it will have to wait for tomorrow. I also need to fit in cigar time and pool time!
However you spend your Labor Day remember that there were lots of people that fought and struggled to bring about the working person's rights that we still have to fight to protect -- perhaps more so now than ever.
John
Monday, September 07, 2026
Laboring on Labor Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment