Sunday, July 16, 2023

Musically Inclined -- or not

I've been thinking about taking up the guitar ... again.
It has been a few decades since I've played. There is an old twelve string in the basement, but I'd really need a new guitar if I were to play again. I'm not sure that I'm up for spending the money on a new one or even on a good used one since there is a good chance that 1) the desire to play may be short lived and 2) it really is only for me while sitting on the deck and irritating the birds, bugs, and other more musically talented creatures.

So I came to a decision--

When we were in Mexico a couple of friends played (and sang to) a ukulele. I know a couple of others that have played the ukulele and have even dabbled with it myself in a long ago, distant past. Recent checks on Facebook Marketplace have landed me an affordable instrument which I will pick up in a couple of hours. Soon the old guy will have a new hobby/musical instrument to work on while sitting on the deck. 
In all honesty, it will probably only remind me of just how musically inept I am. 

Coincidentally, one of the friends in Mexico that played the ukulele is named Luna and the ukulele I found is a Luna ukulele!


Expect no videos nor public appearances. This instrument is for personal use only. Consider it just another retirement experiment.

I am looking forward to learning to play it and will enjoy learning some songs as well. I have a feeling Groucho the cat will not be pleased as I disturb her peaceful afternoons/evenings on the deck with my strumming and crooning.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

You should take the twelve-string in and have it refinished and tuned up.