Thursday, December 17, 2020

#WWFD -- What Would Fauci Do?

We are now several days into getting the first of the available Covid-19 vaccinations into our front line healthcare workers. The next priority will be nursing homes and senior citizens, followed by the rest of the population as determined by the CDC. Even though there is hope on the horizon, it will still be several months before a sufficient amount of the population has been vaccinated to resume a somewhat normal social lifestyle that is safe for everyone.

I am truly looking forward to that day!

In the mean time, perhaps asking "What would (Dr.) Fauci do?" would be a good practice for us to follow. I really do have concern for our nation's healthcare system as hospitals are reaching critical care capacity and the holiday season is just getting started. The Ozarks' big mega church has already made national news by hosting several super spreader Christmas worship programs. Next up -- family gatherings where some of those attendees will expose their family's non-attendees at holiday get togethers. 

Even though I spend most of my time in relative isolation, I'm certain that I have practices that Dr. Fauci would frown on. I don't use curbside shopping pick-up at grocery stores. I go in and shop. I do use the sanitizing wipe on my cart, wear my mask, and wipe everything down before shelving it at home, but I could avoid even more exposure by simply using the pick-up option.
Eating out is pretty much a thing of the past and we are even careful about our take-out options, choosing restaurants that we know practice masking in the kitchen as well as for the servers.

I did attend several church services since our church was pretty strict about masking and social distancing, but started back to watching online even before the church made the decision to (again) discontinue in person services and go to online services only.
I know that most people don't have the options that I have, but I'm pretty sure that we could all do better at reducing our own exposure and reducing the chance that we might unknowingly spread the virus to someone else. 

What are your practices? 
What are your safe practices?
What are your unavoidable exposures (work, school, family, etc.)?
What could you do better?

I'm glad there is hope for the future. A second vaccine will probably be approved in the US this weekend. Let's all do our part until it's safe to move about freely.
What would (Dr.) Fauci do?
#WWFD

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

"I go in and shop. I do use the sanitizing wipe on my cart, wear my mask,"
I do these also. I don't wipe things down anymore as 'they' said it's not needed. I go to the grocery store and the drug store and that's about it. Other than curb service restaurants.