Thursday, December 03, 2020

Christmas is Coming

 I know that in the past I have read through the twenty-four chapters of The Gospel According to Luke during the December days preceding Christmas. It's a nice daily practice to read through the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus in the days leading up to Christmas. I hadn't really intended on doing it again this year, but I found out my mom is doing it and I have decided to join her. 

I read chapters 1 & 2 yesterday to get caught up and chapter 3 for this morning's reading. 
The first three chapters cover the birth of John the Baptist, the birth of Jesus, and John's ministry of baptizing in the Jordan river. 

I like Luke's Gospel. I don't think I'll be posting daily summaries of my thoughts about each chapter, but I wanted to share the idea while it's still pretty easy to get caught up in case anyone else would care to join in.

Earlier I wrote about December 25th being the day that we celebrate the birth of Jesus. Since then I was thinking about that combined with the sentiment of putting Christ back in Christmas that is common during the season. Maybe we should (as Christians) consider putting Christ into every day.
That would be cool!

Even though it is past Giving Tuesday, there are still plenty of needs this holiday season. If you'd like to share your generosity with others but don't know where, let me offer this opportunity to you.
Each year The Venues Church partners with several community agencies to provide for people during the holiday season. This year's pandemic has presented challenges in getting the word out, even as needs are much greater. If you check out our Lights of Love page, you can help kids, seniors, families, unsheltered youths, unsheltered adults, even pets. The need is great. 



I would encourage you to contribute in your local community, but if you don't know where and just want to help someone in need through a trusted organization -- you are more than welcome to give a gift through my church community.

John

No comments: