Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Covid in 2021

If you listen to some of the predictions, the US will more than double the Covid death count in the coming months, even as the vaccines are making their way into the population. The poor public practices and timeline to herd immunity are still a very deadly combination.
I'm concerned that the poor practices will increase and many will over estimate what the vaccine alone can do to stop the spread of this virus. Please continue to be vigilant in your safe practices for the coming weeks and months.

In good news -- I found out that as a volunteer chaplain at Mercy Hospital in Aurora MO I am on the list and will be getting the vaccine soon. It's too bad that it is not transferable. I'd give it to Chris if I could, but this will definitely help and will (eventually) allow me to get back to doing more volunteering.

I started volunteering at an overnight shelter this week. The exposure/contact is relatively small -- twenty men, socially distant, masked away from their sleeping area. I was masked for the entire time, gloved while cleaning up at the end of the night. It was a little more close contact than I was expecting, but I think it's still doable for the time being. I was pretty careful and (for the most part) the guys were pretty compliant about their masks and I saw many of them using the offered hand sanitizer.
I think I'll continue for one night per week as the number of volunteers seems to be sufficient for that and it looks like the weather will be cold enough to keep the overnight shelters active in the coming week or so.

Stay healthy.

John

2 comments:

Cloudia said...

Bless you dear John!

Mike said...

I think I remember Fauci saying earlier this year that if everyone wore masks the outbreak would be under control in 3 to 6 weeks.