Sunday, September 03, 2017

September

With the calendar advancing to September and Labor Day weekend upon us, it is the unofficial end to summer in the US. Chris and I spent yesterday at the lake with friends which is a fine way to spend a day.

Late summer/early fall is hurricane season for the coastal states, and as the Texas and Louisiana states recover from the effects of Harvey, Florida and the east coast states are keeping an eye on Irma.
I am also keeping an eye on Irma as she has the potential to change my ride plans in the coming weeks.
I suppose that sounds pretty trivial and insensitive to those that may experience great damage compared to my inconvenience, but that is just how the storm track may affect my plans.

September also brings the beginning of football season in the US (that's American football, for my international friends), or so I'm told. As I have mentioned before, I do occasionally watch football...
...after baseball season is over (which it pretty much is for the Cardinals)
...and if there isn't a hockey game on.
Fortunately, MMA has no season and it is pretty easy to find a fight to watch on any given weekend.

Tuesday, Sept 5, is our 36th anniversary. We're taking advantage of the weekend and will be out later today for an early celebration. It has been an incredible journey to this point and I am looking forward to what the future has in store for us as we continue this road together. I am especially looking forward to when Chris retires and the schedule no longer includes work days!

Perhaps it's a good thing that Chris has to work Monday and Tuesday of this week because I have plenty to do to get ready for my trip. September is also grass growing season and I'll need to mow the lawn before I hit the road. I also need to do laundry and pack in a way to carry on the motorcycle. The bike is ready, but needs a good pre-trip cleaning, as well as a final check of everything. Wednesday morning is travel day #1!
I am looking forward to the solace of the road and the sound of the wind. Although I have intentions to write as I travel, I also hope to disconnect a bit from the pull of the internet and social media. We'll see how that goes.

Enjoy the weekend!

John <><




5 comments:

Grand Crapaud said...

Have a great trip. John!

Unknown said...

Safe journey!

Mike said...

Are you going to do daily updates from the road?

John A Hill said...

Updates from the road -- probably
Daily updates -- unlikely

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I hope you have good weather and a great trip, John!