Thursday, August 11, 2016

Odds and Ends -- Perseid's meteor shower

A week ago I posted about the unusual number of hits I had from Russia as I posted about the upcoming election and its candidates. Now, one week later and there have been exactly ZERO hits from Russia in the past 7 days.
Hmmm...?

Yesterday I had an enjoyable lunch, visits with a couple of friends and a round trip motorcycle ride of 462 miles. One of the things I am learning in retirement is that I really have no need to stay connected to the rest of the world on a real-time basis.

Although I almost always have my phone on me, and I get notifications of tweets, e-mails, sports scores, etc., they are mostly irrelevant bits of information. If I happen to be on my motorcycle for a few hours and miss several notifications, I find that it is no big deal. I'm not sure if it is a good thing that I have finally realized my irrelevance to the world (except for Russia) or not. In any case, I suppose that it suits me just fine.

I did miss several Olympic events, some new findings and unimportant tweets from the presidential campaigns, some spam e-mail (that I was able to delete later), a few tweets and several likes on some instagram pics. I spent a couple of hours listening to some classic rock but most of the time my mind was free to drift as I scanned the traffic and road ahead.

This morning the Olympics are on and the US Women's water polo team is currently beating the team from China. I have checked my phone a couple of times to see what unimportant things I'm missing.

One thing that I won't be missing is tonight's meteor shower! I'll be up in the early morning hours and hoping for a clear sky. I may have to take a short ride out of town to find a good view. This year's Perseid's shower is supposed to be a good one. Early morning is the best time for viewing. Look to the north. I'm thinking I'll be up around 3am.
Feel free to hit me up on Twitter @magicianary if you're up!

John <><




1 comment:

Mike said...

I've given up on trying to see meteor showers here in St. Louis. Too much light. Maybe one more try tonight. Maybe.