Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Up in the morning...

It is going to be another beautiful day in the Ozarks!



I am up early and enjoying a cup of my own variation of bulletproof coffee. It may seem odd that I am up before sunrise since I am living the retired life and have no real need to be up this early, but as I am now fond of saying, "I get up when I'm finished sleeping."

It is not unusual for me to be up early on days when Chris works (like today). I generally wake up while she is getting ready and get out of bed shortly after she leaves at just past 6. I enjoy my coffee, read my favorite blogs, catch up on social media and occasionally (not often) watch a morning news show.

I had a wonderful time this past weekend. Aaron and Jenny came down for some pre-wedding activities for Hannah and Daniel. We had a very nice family and wedding party shower for the soon to be married couple and then they had afternoon and evening activities including very early (two+ months) bachelor and bachelorette parties. It is always a great time when I get to see my kids!

**********

With the beginning of spring in the northern hemisphere comes Easter.
This is Holy Week -- the week leading up to the glorious resurrection of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus.
Sunday was Palm Sunday which marked the Triumphal Entry into the city of Jerusalem.

I have to admit, I never really got that name - Triumphal Entry.
Oh, I know that Jesus fulfilled the prophesies and accomplished His earthly mission and all, but really? From a human perspective the coming week was far from anything triumphant.

He entered the city as a humble servant on a small donkey.
He was falsely accused.
He stood in a false trial, in front of false witnesses.
He was abandoned by his friends.
He was mocked, beaten, scourged and crucified with criminals.
He was left to suffer and die -- alone.
And He was buried in a borrowed tomb.

I know that the triumph comes days later. But you have to admit, this week that we call Holy Week was really a dark time in the life of Jesus -- and in humanity.
It was a week that was filled with greed and lust for power.
It was a week filled with hate and a time when people used religion as a club to beat others into submission for a perceived greater good.
It was a week when those appointed as leaders abused their leadership and painted a good man as evil while evil men looked to be good.
If you look only at that week, it appears that it is evil that triumphs over all, but...

(I wish that I could say that humanity has changed, but looking at our world today can sometimes bring a person down. It doesn't look much different. The news seems to be filled with stories of good people being oppressed and taken advantage of by those more powerful than they. Greed and lust for power are still the rage in our culture. Religion is still being used as a tool to manipulate people rather than as a means to seek out a relationship with God. Somehow, hate has become normal behavior. Many people -- both in politics and religion -- would have us believe that evil is still winning.)

...but
Sunday is coming!

With the resurrection of Jesus, victory over sin and death was attained.
The Triumph over the eternal condemnation for living under The Law has been achieved and eternal life is possible for those that believe that Jesus is the Son of God and offered himself to die in our place. He bore our sin and our punishment and offers us eternal life.

This little blog is far from able to explain the theology behind the substitutionary atonement of the death of Jesus. Nor can it adequately address the great love and power behind the resurrection.
But perhaps I can convince you to examine for yourself the evidence and history of that terrible week and the triumphal conclusion.

If you are a non-believer or a skeptic and are up to a challenge, I have some books that you may enjoy reading. Drop me a note in the comments. If you don't want your comment posted, just say so.

Enjoy.
Endure.
Sunday is coming!

John <><




1 comment:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

You gave a nice discourse on holy week, John! Easter is the true triumph. We should endeavor to be an Easter people. Have a nice day, and look forward to a special Easter! A.