Sunday, March 20, 2016

It's Spring! (Watch for my motorcycling friends)

The long awaited day has finally arrived!
The sun has crossed the equator on its journey back to the northern hemisphere!

I have to admit that I am a little under-whelmed by its appearance today. The morning is cold and gloomy in the Ozarks with early temperatures below the freezing mark and light flurries in the forecast...
BUT...the calendar says it's spring and that's enough reason for a celebration for me!

To be fair to Mother Nature, the sun will be out and it will warm up a little today and it will be in the 70s (low 20s to the rest of the world) by Tuesday! There's a gourmet hotdog (I guess there is such a thing) place in Joplin that I plan on riding my motorcycle to for lunch on Tuesday.

Chris says that's a long way to go for a hotdog! (180 miles or 290 km round trip)
But it is more about the ride than it is about the hot dog!

I have to say that I'm still pretty much like a little kid with a new toy. I am hoping that the newness doesn't wear off -- ever! I told Chris that this is probably the best thing that I've ever bought for myself. I wish I would have done it earlier.

Of course there is a downside --
I haven't been walking this month. When it's been nice enough, I go for a ride!
There's a garden to plant.
A faucet to be replaced.
Taxes to do.
House to be cleaned.
Dinner to be prepared.
Soon there will be a lawn to be mowed.

I'd say there is life to be lived, but I am now convinced that it is best lived in the saddle of my Vulcan and on the highway!

I've been looking at the Cardinals' schedule for day games this spring.
Three and a half hour ride to St. Louis.
Three hour ballgame.
Three and a half hour ride home.
Oh! That sounds like a beautiful day!
Throw in a ballpark hotdog (or two) and a stop at Ted Drewe's and it'll be a tough day to beat! Even a Cardinal loss (perish the thought) couldn't ruin a day like that!
Heck! I might even make it home in time to catch a Springfield Cardinals' night game!

Yes, my reading friends, I am excited for the coming seasons of spring and summer!
So long, winter! I will not miss you at all in the coming nine months. Nor will I look forward to your return (unless I work out that wintering on a Mexican beach thing)!

I wish you beautiful sunny days, fair winds, gentle rains (preferably at night) and easy roads for great rides!

Happy spring!

John <><

3 comments:

Kevin Gilmore said...

Yes, it's definitely easy to let a new toy get in the way of your fitness schedule unless that new toy is a pedal bike. ;)

Enjoy!

Mike said...

It snowed here this morning. Covered the grass but not the streets. It's almost all melted now.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Have a great spring, John! It is a good day for a hot dog run!