Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Riding Naked -- and I Like It!

Yes, dear friends, I've decided to go "naked."

For non-riders, that means riding my motorcycle without the windscreen.



I really like the looks of a motorcycle without a windscreen. I didn't know how I would feel about riding without one. I expected to feel a lot of push against my body but wasn't expecting as much against my head. Missouri is a helmet law state and I have a full face helmet. Turning to the side to check for traffic was a little bit of a surprise. There is no aerodynamic design from the side of the helmet!

Chances are good that I'll stay with a full face helmet or at least one that offers some facial protection from the wind and bugs as summer approaches. I also like the full face for cold weather riding. I've been looking at some modular helmets and expect that is where I'll end up.



But back to riding naked...

I can see where a long ride might take some getting used to. I remember reading one biker's comments that his forearms got tired for his first couple of long rides each season. I don't think that will be a problem, but can see how it might. I can also see a bit of a challenge to basic core muscles as you do catch a lot of wind. I don't know how tiring that will be and only know of one way to find out.

The good news is that as long as I leave the mounting bracket on, it only takes a few minutes (four bolts) to add or remove the windscreen, so I can always put it back on before a long trip if I decide that I want to and then take it off easily when I return.

For now, it is all an experiment and so far -- I Am Lovin' It!

Even though it will take some getting used to, I imagine that I'll ride without it most of the time. I'll start with shorter rides and build up and see how I feel after a few hundred miles. I plan on riding it to the Pulaski Baptist Association Evangelism Conference next week (about 100 miles) and will have it handy for some afternoon riding. Chris is planning on coming to the Saturday night music worship and can bring my magic for that night in her car. We'll have to drive separately because she won't be staying for the conference.
I think I can handle most of my stuff in the saddlebags and strapped to the sissy bar.
I am looking forward to it.

The weather is supposed to be decent. I'll have to check again as the weekend approaches.

Yeah, I know...
It's a pretty rough life I live!

John <><






4 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

My first response was - you're riding starkers!!! Going without a windscreen sounds neat! Have joyful rides this Spring on the open road.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I was not disapproving, John!

Big Sky Heidi said...

Riding naked is a great way to get an all around tan. Just saying.........

John A Hill said...

Oh you young women!
Angel and Heidi, I'm afraid that an all over tan has never been a priority for me and I'm afraid drivers averting their eyes might cause serious damage and injury.