Thursday, January 21, 2016

Throwback Thursdays are for Thanksgiving

It's a Wheel of Fortune Before and After kind of post that combines Throwback Thursday with Thursdays are for Thanksgiving.

The other night I was fixing a late night snack -- a peanut butter and jelly sandwich -- and was thinking about my son.
First of all, I should mention that I love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
I always have.
I'm one of those people that needs to have peanut butter on both pieces of bread, with the jelly in the middle. My jelly of choice the other night was a red raspberry -- you know the kind, the stuff with lots of little raspberry seeds. It always reminds me of when Aaron was a little kid and expressed his frustration that our blackberry jelly didn't have seeds. We usually spent a little extra for the seedless blackberry jam. One day, Aaron (about 4 or 5) says in frustration, "Can we quit buying the cheap jelly without seeds?"

So we started buying the jelly with seeds for the kids and kept buying the "cheap" seedless stuff for us!

Yesterday I got a call from Aaron. Part of our conversation was about some of the vacations that we took when the kids were still living at home. It was a great time -- both then and now.

I think one of the things that I am most thankful for today is that our kids have grown up to be the kind of adults that we like being with. I think they have made great choices for mates and I am looking forward to being able to vacation with them as adults (we talked about that, too).
Aaron actually called to tell me about a deal that he is working on for his job that is going well (both the deal and the job).

I really enjoy calls and texts from the kids when they share their good news and successes with me. As much as I love to reminisce about the past, I am really looking forward to the future and watching them to continue to grow as adults.

I posted yesterday that mine is a simple life -- and it is.
But my, oh my -- it is also good life!

John <><


3 comments:

Mike said...

I waiting for the GMO people to develop a seedless blackberry.

Big Sky Heidi said...

It's so nice when family relationships are easy! Glad yours are. Mine too.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Definitely something to be Thankful about!