Monday, February 16, 2015

Good Food for a Cold Winter Night

Normally recipes find their way to my other blog, but I hesitate to put this over there because I doubt that you could classify this as healthy food. Oh, it's good food and I wouldn't say that it is unhealthy, but it does have a lot of fat in the way of cheese and cream.

In any case, I just threw a few things together to come up with my own Chili Verde con Queso y Limas.

1 lb dry lima beans
2 boneless chicken breasts
3 cups shredded Colby/Monterrey Jack cheese mix
1 cup shredded asiago cheese
1/2 cup cream
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped spinach leaves
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 onion (chopped)
2 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
4 Serrano peppers (chopped)
garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste

I did the quick soak on the lima beans, bringing them to a boil in a pot for 2 minutes and then covering them and letting them sit for an hour.

I put the chicken breasts in the crock pot on high with some garlic, chili powder and 2 cups of water.

After rinsing the beans, I moved the chicken breasts and remaining liquid to the pot with a little more water and continued to cook them on med/high heat. The limas went into the crock pot on high with 2 cups of water and 2 cups of chicken broth.

I added the rest of the ingredients as they were ready. (The only reason I added the shredded zucchini is because it was in the freezer for green smoothies!) I added the cheese a cup at a time to let it melt in slowly.

When the chicken breasts were fully cooked, I chopped them up, added them (along with the remaining liquid) to the beans and continued to cook on high for about 90 minutes, seasoning it to taste.

I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out!
If you give it try, let me know what you think.



Bon Appetit!
John <><

No comments: