Sunday, July 11, 2010

Looking Back, Living Ahead

Today was another beautiful day in the Ozarks. I don't know if it made it to 90F (32C) or not, but I'm sure that it was close--pretty much what one would expect for mid-July. At a little after 5 pm, the sun is beating down on the back of the house and the driveway (where I am sitting) is well shaded.

I'm taking advantage of my laptop, wifi router, and the alone time afforded me by my current task of manning the ice cream freezer to do a little blogging. There really isn't much to do other than making sure that there is ice with enough rock salt to keep it melting and to be here when the delicious confectionery concoction freezes enough to stop the electric motor.

Chris is baking the lasagna and we are awaiting the arrival of our dinner guests. Aaron and Jenny are home for the weekend taking care of some pre-wedding business. Tux measurements, dress fitting, a shower at Hopedale today and another one at Jenny's church tomorrow. Then back to Clinton and work for Jenny, Chicago for Aaron. For this evening, we'll share the two of them with Jenny's family and have dinner together as soon-to-be in-laws.

I was looking at some of Aaron's pics from when he was just a little guy and thinking of the great time that I've had being a dad. Honestly, I'm not really sure of how I feel about entering into this next phase of fatherhood--I mean it's good--I'm very proud of Aaron and thrilled with the young woman that he's marrying. I don't know if I'm supposed to be sad that they will be on their own far away from home or not. I think that falls under the category of what mom's are supposed to be sad about. For dads, I think it's more of a "mission accomplished" kind of thing. You know--that's what we raised them to do.

I think that Jenny's dad, Joel will be scanning some of these pics for a power point presentation of pics of Aaron and Jenny for the wedding. After they're digitized, I'll post some of them here. They remind me of some great times.

*****

Dinner was great, the ice cream was awesome and we had a good visit our with friends that are soon to be family. Kathi, Joel and Kassi went home a little while ago. Hannah's boyfriend, Ethan, left around midnight and Aaron and Jenny are on an early morning (1am) run to Buffalo Wild Wings to get Aaron his spicy fix.

It's been a whirlwind kind of visit--arrived home about 10pm Friday, busy with tux measurements, dress fittings, hair appointments, and a shower today. Too busy to make the fireworks after dinner tonight and church, another shower tomorrow and then the drive back in the afternoon. Jenny will be back next weekend, but we won't see Aaron until the week before the wedding. He's still got some laundry to finish tonight so he'll have a pretty late night. Maybe he can get a nap on part of the trip back tomorrow.

All-in-all, a pretty boring post for most my readers, but another reminder for me of just how good things are. Yeah, I only mowed half of yard today, spent a few days on sick leave last week, spent some money on stupid medical tests for work last week, watched the Cardinals have a dismal week, and I have two cars in need of repairs (ones not running and I can't figure out why). And yet I have a grand life.

If you're one of my Facebook friends, you may have already listened to this song. I think it explains my attitude about making it through the day to day struggles of life. In the Bible, Paul writes that we are just travelers through this life; that this is not our home; that we have something greater ahead of us.

Author Stephen Covey says it this way: "We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey."

I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

Enjoy the song.
Enjoy the day.
Enjoy life.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

"half of yard today"

You're a half a yard ahead of me right now.