Friday, April 03, 2009

Remembering the Past

Today has been quite the day. I finished my work shift at 6:30 this morning. Since I knew that I had a 9 o'clock meeting, I figured that there wasn't any point in going to bed when I got home. I caught up on the blogs that I follow and headed to the title company to sign a few papers on behalf of our church. We (Hopedale Baptist Church) just purchased the lot and building adjacent to our current property. The purchase is a huge step of faith on the part of the church. Even in the poor economic times, we have such a need for more space to be able to reach out to the community around us. I truly believe that God will bless our faith and the work that is done to bring glory to His name. The 9000 square foot building (new) and the corner lot of prime commercial real estate certainly tests the will and resolve of the church. I know that as we are faithful to Him, so He is faithful to His people. It was a great way to start the day.

I managed a short nap (two hours) and then was up and off to another meeting. This meeting was with the young couple that will be getting married at the end of May. I'm not real sure how I ended up with the privilege of getting to perform the ceremony for them, but I am truly honored to be doing it. They are a great young couple and I am very excited for them. Ain't love grand? It doesn't seem like it could be more than 27 years that Chris and I were in their shoes.

I met my daughter at Starbuck's for an afternoon coffee and had dinner with my wife at the local Catholic Church's Lenten fish fry. Then Chris was off to church for the women's annual weekend conference and Hannah is downtown Springfield for the First Friday Art Walk. I have the house to myself. You might think that after only two hours sleep I'd be off to bed...but things happen when you're sleeping. I don't want to miss anything. So....

Tonight I spent some time getting reacquainted with a friend on Facebook. I am really enjoying the connections that I've been making. There have been a lot of years and lots of life lived since I have seen these old friends. Some has been grand; some has been very difficult. Many have been divorced, some have lost loved ones, some are dealing with cancer or other difficulties. I am encouraged by the faith in God that many seem willing to share openly. I enjoy hearing about their families almost as much as I enjoy telling them about mine.

Their stories remind me of the great blessings that I have been given. They connect me to the past and I remember the fun that we had in that small little town. I remember when we did the musical Li'l Abner in the eighth grade. We would walk home at night, a couple of miles--eighth graders! We would start out with a small group that got smaller as we passed each ones home. Mine was the farthest, just a little bit farther than my friend's. The two of us walked the last mile past the cornfields together. I can't imagine letting our kids make that walk today!

I also connected with an old neighbor through classmates.com. Again, life has a way of dealing out some good stuff and some tragic stuff.

Tonight, I am feeling blessed. I can't think of a single reason that God would choose to favor me with His blessings...but He has. I have a grand life! I love my family! We have fun. I love my church, my little town, my job and my call to ministry. I have the best friends and am remembering that it has always been that way. I pray that when the day comes that I have to face tragedy, I will face it as many of my friends have--with my faith in God steadfast and sure; with confidence that He will see me through; and with a story of hope to tell on the other side of whatever comes my way.

John <><

4 comments:

Mike said...

I see you're using the "you can sleep when you die" philosophy to the max.

Wv: halsxag - Hals former farmer wife.

Claudia said...

I'm reading a book by a contemporary Irish writer who was rather famous here and over there a few years back, with a book at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list in 2004. Never heard of her then. Don't read the NY Times very often. Got her book at the dollar store, thinking I'd give it to my mother. Then something urged me to read it, in case it had parts that might offend Mom. Sure enough, it does...but it really is a great book otherwise, and so today I googled the author's name to find out more about her. I was shocked to learn she had died 11 months ago, at age 68, of cancer. Your last paragraph of this blog entry is quite similar to something she said in her last interview. Now, I'm not saying you're getting ready to kick the bucket, John; I'm just saying you, like this woman before she died, have found what is truly precious in life. I hope and pray for you that your life is long and continues to be productive in so many ways, all of them holy, even the humourous stuff and even when you luxuriate in just being lazy. I hope and pray that for everyone I encounter; because if we could all taste enough of heaven on earth, what grateful, joyful children of God we could be. Claudia

Sicilian said...

You remind me of my 8 years of night shift. . . . I averaged 5 hours a night. . . it is to easy to do all the stuff you need to do rather than sleep . . .
I have joined classmate, facebook, myspace. . . . I honestly have a very hard time getting into any of them.
My mother used to keep me up on all the people I cared about from high school. . . . I've seen a lot of them over the last few years because of my many trips home. . . I guess now that I don't have her any more that getting contact will be much more important as it is with you. . .
Ciao

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

I would be so groggy on only 2 hours of sleep but you go, go , go. I am so glad that things are wonderful for you. Nice to stop by and I did not know I was not following you anymore. When I had all that trouble with google/friends/followers it somehow dropped people following me and me following people so I will see how to fix it. I am sorry as I was unaware. I enjoy your blog so enjoy following.