Saturday, November 29, 2008

Deck the Halls...

...and anybody that gets in your way of a great holiday deal!

How could this happen? How can we become so focused on a great deal that we will push, shove and trample over people to get a deal? Happy Holidays? Are you kidding me?

I know that retailers are hurting for business and that everybody is looking for a deal, but I've been to a few "Black Friday" morning events (not this year) and people are rude! There are exceptions but the rule of the day is nice guys lose the great deals. When the kids were little I would venture out for a deal on a toy and be back at home and in bed before they were out of bed! In those days, the early Friday morning spree was new and had not yet earned the name "Black Friday."

Now I would rather pay a few more dollars or wait for a later sale than to risk life, limb and a good night's sleep to try to get one of the 15 low priced items with thousands of other shoppers fighting for the same deal.

I hope that you are able to find something nice for your loved ones and that it won't endanger your life to shop for presents this year. Maybe we could all pay a little bit more attention to the Peace and Joy themes of the Christmas Season. Maybe we could celebrate the birth of a Savior. Maybe taking a little time to help somebody instead of hurting somebody would make our little corner of the world a better place.

Even as the shopping season begins, I want to wish you an early Merry Christmas!

John

6 comments:

Magic Utopia said...

Merry Christmas to you too, John. It’s a crying shame when good people die like this. And let me guess, somehow the store will be held responsible and not the angry mob. I hope they have good security recordings to identify those hysterical shoppers.

I’m giving framed photographs of my friends and family that I have taken during the year when we spent time together. I figure it has more meaning and no one will get killed during the process.

Sicilian said...

Kind of a sad statement about us. I have it in my head that it is one of the older greeters at Wal-Mart who just could not move fast enough to get out of the way.
Hurts my heart.
I hear they are going to prosecute.
Ciao

John A Hill said...

Sounds like a wonderful gift, Utopian. I'm sure that the framed pics will be greatly appreciated.

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

I work part time at Macy's and I can tell you that there were some very rude people (I worked at 4 am on black Friday and you should have seen them running in the store when we opened). For the most part everyone was okay but there were those who had to ruin it by shouting and causing a ruckus. This is sad that things got out of control other places. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and I just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Mike said...

Remember how Christmas was moved from October to December to help with the boredom of winter? Well it certainly hasn't been boring so far.

Amanda said...

We don't have Black Friday here but the shops here seemed to have moved up their post-Christmas sales to now. I went to the shops yesterday and it was crazy out there!!! Definitely more stressful than fun. And the worst part, I didn't find anything for anyone :(