Monday, November 03, 2008

I've Heard That Before

Yesterday afternoon we were talking about the outright lies that are being spread as the election draws near. We were amazed at the things that people are willing to believe without checking out the source or validity of the claims being made. Somebody made the comment (not me), "I think that overall, Democrats are more informed voters."

I've heard something like that before...it'll come to me in a minute.

Then last night at church, I heard one man explaining to another man, how "sharing the wealth" works. It was a great explanation of the Robinhood Theory (take from the rich, give to the poor), but had nothing to do with Sen. Obama's economic policies. My bet would be that he's never read the policy (available on Obama's web site) but is just spewing forth some regurgitated nonsense that somebody else has said.

Bilbo always says, "Don't let anyone do your thinking for you." But that's not the quote I'm thinking of...it'll come to me.

Oh yeah, now I remember...it was Karl Rove:

“As people do better, they start voting like Republicans - unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing”


What??????

Be informed. Don't take my word for it. Think for yourself...then vote.

John

So much for no more political posts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, the Democrats were formidable because of the strength of labor unions and city "machine politics" led by the Daleys in Chicago and the Kennedys and others in Boston. I imagine a lot of dirty tricks were played by Democrats in those days, not unlike what I feel are played these days by Republican "geniuses" like Karl Rove. But if you have the chance, read or listen to the audiobooks by Barack Obama. The one called The Audacity of Hope is very informative about how contemporary campaigns are run and in it he tells how his was put together. Well-organized groups like labor unions still figure greatly, even though their economic power has been on the wane the last 20 years. Obama's earlier biographical book, Dreams of My Father, is also very helpful in understanding how his choice to be a community organizer was so good for him (and for us!) in his current life as a political leader. I bought the CD that includes both books and particularly enjoyed listening to Dreams of My Father. Obama himself is the narrator, and he won a Grammy for these recordings. He does a fabulous job with inflections in his voice to differentiate amongst the various people of importance to him as he came up from childhood to maturity. Whether it's his Kenyan family members, or his high school basketball teammates or persons he worked with as a community organizer on Chicago's south side, he's got all their dialects down pat. He also is a very good singer, which you can hear in the part of Dreams of My Father when he describes a church service that particularly moved him.

Mike said...

All I can say is a confirming "What?"