Saturday, May 18, 2024

Something different

I decided to have my morning coffee on the front porch this morning. It's a pretty quiet street and still an enjoyable morning coffee spot. The lots across the street are wider and not as deep as the lots on our side. That means the houses are a little farther apart and the trees at the back of the property are much closer to the street. It also means there are more audible bird sounds sitting on the front porch vs the deck in back.

I'm not sure if school is out yet or not. I think they have one more week. This morning (Saturday) seems to be absent of kids and adults on our quiet little street. The weather is going to be much warmer (mid 80s, 29-30c) for the next few days, so I need to make an earlier start to get some yard work in while it's not uncomfortable. There is plenty to do. I could work a few hours every morning and never be finished, but I think I'm okay with that. The extremely poor soil here is quite challenging when it comes to decorative gardening. It also ends up being a little expensive.

I'm looking for an area in the back to start a native grasses and flowers meadow. It should be pretty. It should be weather resistant. And it will be less to mow. My hope is to start a relatively small area that spreads naturally, year by year. It will be good for all of the pollinators. It will provide some cover for the little critters like rabbits, and field mice. And it will provide food for the birds.
Longer grasses and natural meadows also keep the ground temperature a little cooler and that's good for the environment, too.

I doubt that I'll make the front porch coffee a regular morning thing, but I might try spending more time where I can see and be seen by the neighbors as they make their way up and down our street. A cool drink and an afternoon cigar on the front porch doesn't sound bad.
And it gives me the opportunity to yell, "Get off my lawn!" should kids or pets stray onto our little slice of the Ozarks.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Keeping people off your lawn is a full time job!