Thursday, January 19, 2023

Feeling Disconnected -- and it's not a bad thing

I really don't watch much TV, and that includes the news. I primarily get my news from my Twitter feed and the news links I follow there. As I've pulled back from my social media time, I am beginning to feel a little disconnected from the big world. That's not entirely a bad thing. There seems to be enough connection to my small world to occupy my thoughts and time.

I don't want to be entirely oblivious to what's happening in the country or world, but I don't want to be burdened by it either. I'm wondering if there are a handful of Republicans in the House that recognize the idiocy of the party leadership that wants to hold the nation hostage over whether or not we should pay the bills we owe. I'm happy to ignore most of the shitshow that is happening under the divided GOP. The US should not negotiate with terrorist hostage takers, even if it is our own Congress!
I get so damned mad when I think about their self-serving brand of patriotism that I am reminded why I have reduced the time I pay attention to them. I don't want to be uninformed and ignorant, but neither do I want to be engaged with people that are uninformed and ignorant.

The thing that made me aware of my disconnect was someone asking me about the JFK nearmiss that happened on the runway earlier in the week. I hadn't even heard about it and had to look it up when I got home. The most disturbing thing that I read is that such runway incursions (the air traffic term for unauthorized vehicles or aircraft on an active runway) are up by a staggering amount over the past several years. It doesn't seem that the FAA has determined a reason for the rise in incidents, but somebody (either controllers or pilots) isn't paying enough attention to what they are doing.

By the way, I am coming up on the 8th anniversary of my retirement from the air traffic control gig. Another retired controller subtly shamed me for how little I've accomplished in my retirement years - not really. I fully embrace my non-productive retirement life. If others feel the need to be gainfully employed after being forced to retire at a younger age - well, good for them! They can serve on community or organizational boards and committees to their heart's content. They can work as contract controllers or teach ATC at the academy and pad their retirement nesteggs. I'll plant flowers, read books, and smoke cigars.

*****

In other news...
It appears that winter is returning to the Ozarks. After several days of a little warmer weather, it looks like our crisis cold weather shelters will be open for the next few weeks with few to no breaks. If you are in the Springfield area and would like to help, here is a sign up link for the Asbury Shelter where I work. If you include the staff coordinator that is on site and the one that is at the dinner/sign up it takes 16-17 people (more than a dozen volunteers!) each night that we are open. 
I'm sure other shelters have similar needs and sign-up lists. If we're full for a night you are available, let me know and I'll see if I can connect you to one of the other shelters.

Stay warm.
Be well,

John

No comments: