Sunday, January 01, 2023

2023: Here We Go!

It's post number 2,500!
I can't believe I've been at this for more than fifteen years. Only a couple of the bloggers that I started following way back then are still posting regularly. Most have moved on to other media or quit publishing content all together. As I have personally evolved over the years, so has Out of My Hat. 

If you've been along for the ride for a long time - Thanks for continuing to read my ramblings and putting up with me. 
If you are relatively new to Out of My Hat - Welcome! I hope you have found a place that touches, stirs, feeds, or disturbs your spirit in such a way that you will come back for more.

I had thought that maybe post number 2,500 would be something special or profound.
It's not. It's just another rant.
I thought that maybe my first post of 2023 - my New Year's Day post - might be something motivating and meaningful.
It's not. It's like any other New year's Day post.

I do plan on changing in 2023, but in the daily growth/be better than yesterday gradual kind of change and not the turn over a new leaf dramatic kind of change. Change comes slowly for me - more like turning a ship at sea than changing directions with a quick U-turn on the motorcycle.

I'm not real big on the whole New Year's resolution thing. I do think that January 1st provides a good time to make an honest assessment of how things are going in life and perhaps, make a few necessary adjustments in habits and practices. The calendar provides pretty regular opportunities for such assessments and adjustments throughout the year.

In fact, each day gives us new opportunities to enhance or change our station in life. Changes are often small, maybe just changes in attitude or perspective - like turning that ship at sea. But it is your day, your story. I know that some days don't feel like you have much to work with, but work with what you have and write a good story. 
Truthfully, I doubt if I venture out of the house to interact with anyone today. Perhaps that is its own type of kindness to others. If I am going to be kind to anyone today, it will have to be through offering some encouragement or something of value through writing on this simple blog.

2022 may have been filled with some significant challenges - but you made it!
You may still find yourself in the midst of some severe struggles - but you are here and still making it.
In fact, you have survived everything life has thrown at you to this point.
Pause.
Take a deep breath,
and be proud of your badass self.

When writing a story, you kind of have to have an ending in mind. Not every story has a happy ending. Maybe your story today is going to be one of those. You already know that it isn't going to end the way you'd really like it to end.
If you are struggling today, let me suggest an ending for today's story. I mean, it is your story and you can do whatever you like, but consider this for a closing line:

"I took everything the day had to offer and I survived. I made it to tomorrow. 
And yes, I was a badass!"

Now, go write today's story!

John



1 comment:

Mike said...

I'm already two weeks behind! 😲