Thursday, June 13, 2019

Submitting My Resignation

Today is my fifty-ninth birthday.
In reality, birthdays are no longer a big deal. After all, I've already had 58 of them (59 if you count the day I was born).

I have decided that I don't want to be a grumpy old man. I don't think I am ready to invite everybody over to walk barefoot in my yard, but I don't want to be the neighborhood curmudgeon that yells, "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

I think that I am becoming a little less grouchy than I once was. I seem more likely to make allowances for people's poor behavior than I used to. Realizing that nobody really cares about what I think about other people has given me the freedom not to judge others on how they look/act/think/talk/believe/etc./etc.
That doesn't mean that I'm very good at going out of my way to actually be nice to people. It's been a pretty big step just not to be mean or grumpy. I still need some work on the nice/kindness/loving part.

I am submitting my resignation as a Curmudgeon in Training.
Maybe I'll re-apply at a later date. Maybe not.
Life really is too short to be grumpy most of the time, so Don't Worry, Be Happy!



John <><

4 comments:

Bilbo said...

While I admire your sentiment and wish you well in your resignation from incipient curmudgeonhood, I fear I must remain firmly in the grumpy old guy camp, at least as far as politics and religion go. While I, like you, believe in being nice to people (at least until they give me reason not to), I can't give up on curmudgeonship just yet. Good luck!

Mike said...

But .... These days, not only can you yell, "GET OFF MY LAWN!", you can shoot at them too. You're going to miss all the fun!

John A Hill said...

Hmmm...
I may have to reconsider.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Indulge!