Thursday, May 23, 2019

Recharging: Getting energy or inspiration

Where do you go or what do you do to recharge?
Do you...
...go to a place?
...meet with certain people?
...get away from people?
...do a certain activity?
...just get some rest or sleep?

Today is Thursday.
Thursday means Downtown Venues meets tonight.
Downtown Venues is one of my recharge places.

It's a different sort of place. I have mentioned that I don't usually recharge around other people. The people at Downtown Venues (and the people of The Venues in general) are different than most people. There is an overall feeling of acceptance and safety. In fact, it is interesting to observe new people that come to Downtown Venues, people that venture into a new place with guards up and postured for defense against the normal societal biases and church people biases ... but they don't find them. They find people that welcome them. They feel this positive energy that just fills the place. They feel something that they are not sure of; something that is out of place in a bar or even in a typical church.
It often takes a while, maybe even a couple of visits before they recognize that it is genuine acceptance and love. Story after story from people of The Venues tell of the joy of finding a place where they can worship and serve God after having been rejected or judged by other churches, people, or places. In some stories you can feel the past pain. In some, it is the emotional joy of finding a place to call home that grabs you.

In the end, as much as I learn from the messages at Downtown Venues, and as much as I enjoy the various musicians that perform, I go for the spiritual energy that feeds my soul. I will usually only interact with a few of the people that are there. I usually sit alone (unless someone happens to join me). It is an hour that I don't mind being a taker, recharging my soul.

Come join us if you can.
We meet at Ernie Biggs from 6:30 to 7:30.
There are some snacks and soft drinks or you are welcome to buy a beer or drink from the bar.
I think the most difficult thing about being accepted for who you are is having to learn to accept others as they are.
Be prepared to grow.

John <><

1 comment:

Mike said...

...go to a place? - The basement
...meet with certain people? - no one
...get away from people? - absolutely
...do a certain activity? - surf
...just get some rest or sleep? - music on the computer