Friday, May 17, 2019

Chicago

I spent last weekend in Chicago. I drove up to go to the Bellator fights at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont. I stopped on the way up for a quick visit with my parents and made my way to Chicago on Friday afternoon to meet up with Aaron. We soon found ourselves at the Lagunita's taproom where I had my usual sandwich for dinner -- the Lagunita's Hogunitas! It is a meaty sandwich of pulled pork, ham, and bacon, and it is delicious! I assume they have other good food there, but this is my go-to sandwich and I honestly can't remember if I've ever had anything else to eat there.

I had an interesting conversation with the woman that was seated next to me (we were sitting at the bar). She asked me if I was from Chicago because she was new to the area and was looking for a comedy club for her and her boyfriend to visit. I referred her to my daughter in law, Jenny and they figured out a place to go. Kelly (the young woman) is from Belgium and is a flight attendant for United. She moved to Chicago to get better flight assignments. Her boyfriend (Jordan) was visiting from New Zealand. I had Jenny give Kelly her number so they can connect and maybe help her get acquainted with Chicago. It was kind of weird, but when we left she gave me a hug. Must be a European thing.
We walked the two blocks back to the kids' place and settled in for the night. We watched baseball on TV and Aaron ordered out for more food.

Saturday was a lazy day. After coffee at the condo, we made our way to another favorite place -- Haymarket Pub and Brewery. And yes, I had my normal brunch entree -- The Morning Riot! The Riot is my go-to sandwich at Haymarket, and the Morning Riot is what I get for brunch. I have had a couple of other sandwiches there, but for brunch it has always been The Morning Riot.
We ran a few errands and were back at the condo for a little bit before we were off to the fights.

I always enjoy going to the fights with Aaron. This was my first time at a Bellator event. The co-main event and the main event were both great fights. There was a little bit of controversy about the stoppage in the main event, but after watching several replays, I think it was justified.
During the night of fights, Aaron and I were keeping tabs on the Blues via our phones. There was also a UFC ppv event going on.
As the Bellator main event was getting started, Aaron said "There's a Dave and Buster's 11 minutes away. When this is over, we can hurry over there and catch the main event for the UFC fights."
We actually got to see the end of one fight, the co-main event, and the main event.

The kids had a couple of softball games on Sunday afternoon. It was about 45f (7c), overcast, and a cool wind coming in off the lake. It didn't feel like softball weather.
After the game, they took me to a different local brewery/restaurant, Dry Hop. I made up for the meaty sandwich of Friday night by having a vegetarian Reuben! It was a very good sandwich. The corned beef of a typical Reuben was replaced by a portabella mushroom. The main flavor profile came from the cabbage slaw and dressing. I'm not sure that I would all it a Reuben, but it was a tasty sandwich.
We visited in the evening and watched a Netflix movie.

Monday morning I was on my way home.
It was a good weekend.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks for the UFC fights and for a Cubs/Cards game at Wrigley. Chris will be with us for the ballgame.

Retirement does not suck.

John <><

No comments: