Thursday, May 02, 2019

Hotel coffee -- no thank you!

I know, I know -- I admit it, I'm a coffee snob.
As usual, I'm up before Chris and per our plan, I am a couple of blocks from the hotel at a nearby Starbucks for my morning coffee. For the most part, Starbucks has consistently decent coffee. Some of their seasonals are better, and a few of their roasts are not to my liking. My standard selection is a venti (20 oz), 5 shot Americano. Depending on my mood, I may or may not add cream. Today it is black.

It is still cool enough to sit outside (74f, 23c) and the outdoor seating is well shaded at this time of day. It is a little humid, but no worse than the humidity of the Ozarks. There are a half dozen of us outside, as many more inside and a fairly steady stream of walk-ins that appear to be regulars.

This location is about 1/4 mile from the hotel. As I was walking here, I was thinking that I should start walking before my daily coffee. I know 1/4 mile isn't much of a walk, but my normal daily walk is about 3-4 miles and it might be more motivational to walk early and have the incentive of coffee afterwards rather than having coffee first and then using the heat and humidity as an excuse for not walking.
Hmmm... something to consider.

*****

I am going to miss meeting with my Venues friends at Downtown Venues tonight. In truth, I have very little interaction with people at our midweek gathering. In general, being around people tends to drain me of energy (a typical introvert characteristic). It is a little strange that I tend to gain energy for my spirit just from being there.

I am also going to miss our Friday morning Breakfast Venues.
Both of these Venues (as well as our Sunday morning gathering) have become a bit of contradictory phenomena. Typically, people drain me and I recharge by being alone. However, there are so many energy giving people at The Venues that I can recharge from being with them. I don't really need much interaction; simple presence seems to be enough.
I do not think that I am the only one that feels this way. I have noticed (because noticing people is something I have started doing) that there are quite a few people that quietly attend The Venues. They attend regularly, but seem to have pretty limited interaction with people. Although they would be happy to remain unnoticed, I believe they are also pleased that their presence is acknowledged as I say "hi" or even just make eye contact and share a smile. I have found the simple ministry of presence to be a powerful way to bless people. A touch, a smile, a look -- they are all ways that simply give a person value. You can accomplish the same with a text, an email, or a virtual wave.

Try sharing some of your energy today.
And if you do, come back and leave a comment on how you did.
If you need an extra smile to share, it just so happens that I have one for you!


John <><


1 comment:

Mike said...

"Although they would be happy to remain unnoticed, I believe they are also pleased that their presence is acknowledged as I say "hi" or even just make eye contact and share a smile."

That way is so much better than the glad-hander with the ear to ear grin that always operates in the attack mode.