Friday, March 15, 2019

Speaking of safe places...

Last night I got to attend midweek church at The Venues Downtown. It was the first time connecting with my Venues community in a couple of weeks and I needed it. I met a few new people. One was new to The Venues and a couple of others were just people that I hadn't met yet.

This morning I saw this tweet screenshot posted on Instagram




This is what I love about The Venues.
For many people, it is their safe place.

Today I met with my Venues community and served breakfast to our homeless friends. When I left, I needed to stop for gas. Actually, I could have made it home to my neighborhood gas station, but stopped at a gas station not far from where we serve breakfast. There was no particular reason to stop there; I just did.

I pulled up to one of the pumps and was next to an old station wagon. A guy got out of the passenger side of the vehicle as I was getting out of my car.
"Excuse me, sir. We are out of gas and I just need enough to get my daughter to her doctor's appointment. Can you please help us with a couple of dollars?"

A quick look into the backseat and there was a child's car seat and a woman (mom?) next to it. A second man was in the driver's seat and I figured him to be the friend with a car, but no gas.
It shames me to say that the grumpy John of not too long ago might have offered an excuse or maybe a couple of bucks ... maybe.
Today, it was no problem. I swiped my credit card at their pump and told them to go ahead and fill it up, then I went about my business filling up my own car. The dad had the car owner stop the pump at around $15.00. They both looked at me and he said, "We'll just stop it here. Thank you."
I told the owner (he was pumping the gas) to go ahead and fill it up. He nodded, said, "Thanks," and filled it the rest of the way. He was nearly empty and the total was more than twice the $15 they had stopped at originally.

I had to chuckle at their contrasting expressions of gratitude. The driver said, "Man, thank you so much. God bless you -- a lot."
I said, "God bless you, too."

The dad, getting into the passenger seat, said, "Man, you are a badass dude. Thanks!"
I laughed and said, "You're welcome. Take care of your little girl."

That was my morning. That was pretty much my day.

A few months ago, I wrote that my eyesight is getting better. I think there is more to that than just the physical refraction of light and focus that is taking place in my eyeballs. In addition to seeing better, I am seeing more.
I am seeing how much people are hurting.
I am seeing how much I have missed because of being focused on my own life/stuff/problems/self.
I am seeing that my indifference adds to the hurt and isolation of others.
I am seeing that I can do simple things to show people that they have value as a person; that they are worthy of my time; that they are worthy of love.

Hanging around the people from The Venues has really helped me with this new vision. Everything about The Venues is to show and share the love of God; to love like Jesus loves; that every life be driven by love.
I've got a long way to go, but I'm in a community of great coaches and encouragers.

John <><

No comments: