Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Time to break the silence

It's seems like it has been quite some time since I've posted here at Out of My Hat. It's actually only been two weeks, but much has happened and is happening.

In the US there are mid-term elections just over a month away and now the Supreme Court has upheld a lower court's ruling regarding the disclosure of previously called dark money contributions. This is the time when things start to get ugly.
There is also the ongoing hearing for the confirmation of a new Supreme Court Justice that is causing much political posturing and controversy. (This one has been ugly from the start.)

There is the aftermath of severe storms on the US east coast as well in the South Pacific and southeast Asia.
There continues to be racial incidents between law enforcement and citizens of color in the US and Nike has weighed in on the issue with its new ad campaign.

I have to admit that part of not posting has been from trying not to be negative and adding to the noise of the internet. (And by noise I mean the stuff that is out there and consumes our time but doesn't seem to educate nor change peoples minds.)
Of course, there is always the part of just being too lazy to write.

Out of My Hat is a personal blog and I sometimes wonder why I write.
It certainly isn't to make money nor as part of some kind of job or promotion.
It isn't because I feel like my thoughts and ideas are really worth considering as others make up their own minds on how to think about various topics.
As expected, my thoughts and rants have often drawn as much criticism as affirmation (although most of the critics have ceased following me some time ago).

Currently, my posting silence has also been a part of a personal effort to listen more and to speak (or express) less. Even when alone and in relative silence, I am trying to listen more carefully. Listening to nature is teaching me that I can listen to hear without the need to respond. I am hoping to advance this skill and apply it to people -- listening to hear without the need to respond.

Today I want to encourage you to find a quiet place and just listen. You might be surprised at what you can hear in the silence.

John <><

1 comment:

Mike said...

........