Monday, September 03, 2018

No Days Off

When I retired, one of my older cousins warned me -- There are no days off in retirement!

He's right! There are no more paid sick days, no more paid holidays, no more paid vacation days.
Every day you are simply retired.
So while the rest of you are enjoying the long holiday weekend, it's just another regular Monday for those of us that are retired.

That is not to say that I don't celebrate Labor Day.
It is because of organized labor and the many battles that were fought and won that I am able to enjoy my retirement with a decent pension and an adequate Thrift Savings Plan (the government 401K type plan).
I'm pretty sure that I'll be spending my Monday working in the yard. I'll wait until tomorrow (when the rest of you are at work) to get out and ride the rural highways or enjoy Lake Springfield on a kayak.

If you get to enjoy a long holiday weekend today -- thank organized labor!
For us retired guys -- it's just another day.

John <><

2 comments:

Mike said...

Every day is Saturday.

Bilbo said...

Hooray for retirement that I can ... so far, at least ... afford!