Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Community

I've been thinking (and writing) more about community lately. It might have to do with my (slowly) changing community or it might just be a recognition that I've not really had much of a community and we all need to have (at least) a core of people that we feel comfortable being with.

There are things that unite us -- interests, beliefs, politics, race, culture, economic status, etc.
Those things are often the same things that divide us.

Since southwest Missouri is largely a Republican stronghold and in the middle of the Bible belt, I am often confronted with political differences in any subset community. Since politics has become the divisive topic that it is, even once solid relationships have become strained when there are political differences and new relationships are difficult forge. My world is a constant reminder that I am a blue dot in a red sea. Even with my small core of politically centrist friends it feels like a tiny island in the deeply red sea.

Neither is this area racially nor culturally diverse. Any subset group -- church, biker, writer, sporting, etc. -- is made up of white, middle class, working people or small business owners that have spent most of their lives within a hundred miles or so of their Ozarks Christian (or pseudo-christian) home. Finding diverse ideas and beliefs (or acceptance of diverse ideas and beliefs) is quite the challenge in a non-diverse society.
I feel like Democrats need a secret handshake or Democrat friendly churches and businesses need a secret symbol to identify themselves as such. It may sound strange to say that churches are unfriendly to differing political views, but as a person that has been ridiculed for political beliefs and basically shunned by a church, I can assure you it is true.

I could be that my community is starting to grow because I'm finding more people like myself.
Not that we all look alike, act alike or believe the same things; but that we are willing to accept and talk about the differences.
I still spend most of my time alone and I'm okay with that.
But I'm starting to enjoy being with some people -- some of the time.
And I'm okay with that, too.

John <><

2 comments:

Mike said...

I still tell people that I'm an Independent even though I haven't voted (mostly) for a Republican since Reagan. (fool me once) Since my political days are over I now put yard signs up for Democratic candidates and yes I've had a few stolen.

Have some fun. Put out some yard signs.

Kevin Gilmore said...

Nice post, John.

I can relate to much of what you've written here. I, too, am pretty much a loner but in the past several months I've made much more of an effort to engage with some retired controller friends for golf and beers afterward. I'm enjoying the comradery. I'm also making more of an attempt to gather at the local watering hole once each week for a beer and a chat. I don't always have time for it but I never regret making the time.

And speaking of needing a secret sign to identify your political leanings (I think that's what you wrote), didn't the Christian fish symbol originate from such a need? I seem to recall reading that long ago.

And how true it is that some churches aren't comfortable with those who dare color outside the acceptable lines. Tammy and I were both unfriended on Facebook this week by a retired pastor from our previous church because we dared oppose some of her hard-right posts, and some of her ridiculous Trump* worshiping posts. She posted a Photoshopped meme of Trump* carrying some kittens through a flooded area (supposedly from last week's east coast storm) but it turns out the photo was that of a much slimmer and more buff man than Trump* but his head was Photoshopped onto his body. It also turns out that the picture was from a 2008 storm in Iowa. I let her know it was a fake. Tammy's sin was in encouraging people to vote Democrat in a thread where the pastor called on people to vote Republican. She not only unfriended Tammy but she blocked her as well. Tammy had not posted anything on her page in months.

Honestly, I lay the blame for this divide we're experiencing at the feet of conservative media. It belongs fully there. They continue to stoke fear and division in people in a very effective way. As many will say: Trump* isn't the problem -- he's a symptom of the problem and that problem originates with the hate-filled voices of conservative media who hold sway over way too many (myself included at for a time).