Thursday, July 13, 2017

Mayweather vs McGregor

I'm guessing that most of the readers of Out of My Hat are not big MMA (mixed martial arts) or boxing fans. Much of the world is unaware of the big mixed sport super fight that is scheduled for next month, and yet there is much hype in the MMA world. I'm not much of a follower of boxing, but it seems that this is much less of a deal in the boxing world.

Here's my take on the fight...
It's a moneymaker -- for the fighters (that stand to make more than $100 million each), for Showtime (that will air the PPV event), for the promoters and anyone connected to the fight and the UFC that is hosting the fight in their new Las Vegas arena.
I can't fault either fighter for taking the fight. It's estimated (based on the PPV sales) that they may make as much as $300-400 MILLION when it's all said and done.
But I still think it's a joke.

First it needs to be said that it is a boxing match.
It will be the very first boxing match for Conor McGregor.
The Notorious One (McGregor) is, without a doubt, one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time. He is the only UFC Champion to hold belts in two different weight classes at the same time. You can say what you want about his loud mouthed, trash talking ways, but the guy backs it up in the octagon.
And it was McGregor that called out Mayweather, boxing's GOAT.

Here's the thing...
If McGregor wins, how much bragging can a 28 year old man at the physical peak of his combat sport career do over beating a guy that he called out of retirement from his combat sport career?

There are those that say that there is no way that Mac wins; that he won't be able to beat Mayweather at boxing. Others lean on Mac's one punch knockout power and say that he KOs the boxing great.
I don't know how it will go and I know that I won't be buying the PPV.
I'm kind of leaning towards pulling for the old (40) guy.

I know that 40 isn't old in the grand scheme of things, but in a boxer's career ...?
And Mayweather, (retired for the second time), hasn't fought in over two years.

I guess I don't see -- I beat the world's greatest boxer of all time two years after he retired for the second time -- as much of a brag.
Of course, win or lose -- I made over $100 MILLION -- is a pretty significant boast!

Anyway...just my simple man's take on it.

John <><

No comments: