Saturday, October 31, 2015

Adios, Daylight Savings Time!

It's Day 11 of my 30 Day Writing Challenge, Halloween, the end of another month (putting us 5/6th of the way through 2015) and the final day of Daylight Savings Time (DST) in the USA.
My! How time flies when you're having fun!

I'm really thinking about adjusting my sleep habits to wake up a little earlier so that I can take advantage of the shorter daylight hours. Not being a big TV watcher and no baseball games ought to make that a little bit easier. It's not like I have a real schedule to have to work my sleep hours around. As it is, I get up when I'm finished sleeping.

Take today, for instance.
I don't normally get up at 6am anymore, but I had been awake for about 30 minutes and wasn't falling asleep again, so...why waste the time lying in bed?
I got up, brewed a pot of coffee with those organic Mexican coffee beans, added some Mexican vanilla and a little cream and grabbed the ol' Chromebook. It's a little cool out and there is a light rain, but I may try to get a walk in or maybe just hit the indoor cycle and weight machine this morning.

It'll be interesting to see how the change back to Standard Time affects me this year. While working, I always disliked it -- a lot! The evening shifts seemed to last forever and it was dark shortly after I got home from a day watch! I wonder if the longer hours of darkness will have the same negative impact while at home.
I have to admit, I never really got the whole changing time thing. I know that DST is supposed to save a lot of money (or make a lot of money for some), but wouldn't changing business hours/school hours/recreational hours/broadcast hours on a seasonal basis do the same thing?
Oh well! Another case of nobody asking John for his opinion!
I'm getting pretty used to that.

While we're on the subject of seasonal changes, some of my northern Facebook friends have already experienced a little snow. We have had a couple nights that dipped into the 30s but are still dreading the first overnight frost. It looks like it will be at least a week away as the first week of November looks like it's going to be very nice. I hope that the Chicago weather will be kind to me when I journey north later in the month.

This is the time of year that I think I should join my Australian cousins and enjoy the Southern Hemisphere spring! When Chris finally hangs up the OR scrubs, I hope to take a long journey Down Under. This would be the right time of year (I think)!

I hope that your weekend will be full of treats!

John <><


3 comments:

Mike said...

"As it is, I get up when I'm finished sleeping."

Exactly.

Duckbutt said...

I get up when the dog gets me up.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The change seemed so arbitrary; just about when I got used to the time.