Monday, January 26, 2015

Kind Acts, Tender Moments & Living in Isolation

Last week I posted about being intentional about being kind to one another. I have to admit that was more difficult than I expected it to be -- not because it's difficult to be kind, but because being kind to people means that you have to interact with them.

One of my brothers is on a 30 day mission to observe and report on tender moments observed. It's a different dynamic when you are looking for the kind or tender moments that happen around you rather than just going about your own business, unaware of the people around you.

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that I am much more of an introvert than an extrovert. This will come as a huge surprise to many people that know me -- or think they know me.

Here's the thing:

Even though I do not have a problem speaking before large groups of people or being in groups of many people, as a rule, I'd rather be alone.

I'm perfectly comfortable going through my day without any contact with other people.

I often find brief conversations with strangers to be more comfortable than conversations with people I know.

I have very few friends. This one surprises most people. One person said, "You have lots of friends. Everybody likes you!" It's true that I try to be a friendly person (most of the time). It may be true that many people like me. However, it is not true that I like most people. I'd say that I tolerate most people, but even that would be a stretch.

This blog may be the most interaction that I have with people today. It's a regular day off from work--my last one! I will be getting some exercise (at home) this morning and working on a malfunctioning garage door opener this afternoon. If I can't fix the garage door opener, then I'll have to get a new one. I might have to interact with someone other than Chris today.

Sacrebleu!

I'm going to have to take care not to be isolated in the coming months.

Be kind.
Watch for others being kind.
Make allowances for us introverts and give us some space.
Report your good stories here in the comments.

John <><





1 comment:

Mike said...

"I'm perfectly comfortable going through my day without any contact with other people."

Amen to that!