Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Good Deed for Today...

It's fairly early to be up for a retirement training day...but, since I'm training for retirement, I figure that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.

It was just one of those rare mornings when I woke up in the middle of the night (3 am) and couldn't go back to sleep. I figured that since I have the day off (burning up the remaining supplemental leave (s/l) I have on the books) and can nap later in the day, I'd just get up and start the day.

Looking out the front window I can see that it's a little foggy out and the temperature is just below freezing. That should make for an interesting drive to work for all of my friends that are not retired and are not actively training for it.

But enough about that!

I started the day by brewing my morning coffee and contemplating what to do at 4 in the morning. I decided to bake a batch of my protein cookies. My current variation is about 200 calories and 9 grams of protein. You can find the basic recipe on my other blog and make whatever modifications suit your taste.

Now it's time to read a little, write a little and contemplate what I might do today to bring a little joy into my little corner of the world.

Hmmm...

Recently, I've talked to a few of my co-workers about some of the impressions they've made during my career and what I'll miss about them. I've kept it to the very positive things that I've noticed, but haven't got around to everyone just yet. Truthfully, there are many that I'm not going to miss and will probably be a better person for not being around them on a regular basis. No doubt, there will be those that feel the same about me. Controllers tend to have pretty strong personalities and they are often conflicting personalities. Tact and diplomacy are not job requirements and many of us are lacking in those characteristics.
In any case, I guess I'd better make plans to complete that task in the near future.

But what about today?

Would you care to join me in an effort to brighten somebody's day?

It can be somebody you know or it could be a stranger.
You can send a note of encouragement or pay for a stranger's coffee or lunch.

I'm sure that you can come up with better ideas than I can, but let's all try to do something nice for somebody today. I'm not a real believer in "random acts of kindness." I believe that there are random targets for acts of kindness, but most kind acts are either planned or just a part of a person's natural character.

If being kind is not a part of your nature (it's not a part of mine) then perhaps we need to make a plan to be more intentional about being kind. Surely we can come up with one thing for one day!

If you're in, comment back on what you did to be kind today. I'll do the same.

Make a phone call.
Send an encouraging note.
Lift a burden.
Just do something!

John <><

3 comments:

Mike said...

You were getting up about the time I was going to bed.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That's a great idea, John Hill. God bless in retirement.

John A Hill said...

I sent a couple of notes of thanks and encouragement to friends. I also received a note about a kindness returned and the benefits of a kind act.