Wednesday, July 23, 2014

In My Small World

I've been thinking about how small my world is and how meaningless my influence is -- even in my little world.

While we can talk of the tragedy of another Malaysian Air flight or rant for or against Israel, the truth is that these major world events have had little impact on my life.

Closer to home we can talk about SCOTUS decisions, gay rights, and what to do about thousands of immigrant children arriving at our border, but still these things have very little impact on what I'm going to do tomorrow.

...And I have very little influence over how decisions are being made.

Oh, I know that many of the decisions are made by the people we elect to various offices (and I will be voting in the midterm elections), but I still feel that my voice is unheard.

In my small corner of the world, I'm struggling to be a good husband, a decent co-worker, a good employee and a faithful follower of Jesus. To be honest, I'm more concerned with getting my retirement estimate from HR than whether or not same gender marriages are legal in Missouri.

I have enough difficulty managing my own life and don't understand why people are so concerned about running other people's affairs. How is it that the small government party is also the party that wants to tell people how to live?

I'm about finished with this little rant, but I do want to invite you to my little world. We can share our thoughts, beliefs and cultures.  We can agree to disagree if necessary. And we can be civil in our disagreements. Bring your favorite food. We'll discuss things over a good meal or a cup of good coffee!

John <><

1 comment:

Mike said...

"We'll discuss things over a" Ted Drews.