Saturday, September 28, 2013

Personality Profile

Blogging from my phone again this morning so I expect this to be relatively brief. 

Part of the two day class I took earlier this week included a 3 in 1 assessment that evaluated spiritual gifts, personality traits and how the two worked together.

I'm always amazed at how accurate these little tests are--at least the spiritual gifts surveys. As far as the personality profile goes, I only remember taking one other test many years ago. It seemed to make a fair assessment of me, but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of self-evaluation. I'm not sure that I really like the person that I am. 

Oh, I'm apparently easy enough to get along with and most people think I'm a likable kind of guy. It's just that I find myself tolerating most people rather than really liking them. That doesn't seem like a very good quality for a preacher/pastor kind of guy, does it?

People generally frustrate me. Even though I somehow manage to be at the center of things in a group of people, I'd usually rather be by myself. Again--not the kind of thing you look for in a preacher. 

The spiritual gifts surveys show my strengths as evangelism, leadership, knowledge/wisdom and pastor/teacher. I imagine there could be a good argument made against the knowledge/wisdom part and given my tendency to not like people, the pastor thing also seems a bit out of place. 

I don't have the profile in front of me (I loaned it to a friend that likes that kind of thing) so I can't say exactly what it said about me...and it doesn't really matter. The purpose of the survey is to help in dealing with other people; to give it to a team so that the leader (me, in the training scenario) knows how to deal with the individuals on the team. Something like this would be a great tool for FAA supervisors to have in dealing with the mix of personalities that make up the ATC work force.

I don't know if you can really change your personality profile or not. Are we stuck with those particular traits whether we like them or not? Will I always not like and not trust most people? It seems like it would be a pretty miserable way to live; and yet I'm really not a miserable guy. In fact, most of the time I'm a pretty happy guy.

I'm just glad that I'm not a supervisor or coworker that has to deal with me. I probably wouldn't like myself! 

Sorry for the rant.

John <><

No comments: