Monday, September 16, 2013

Monday...

Wow! Another week without a post.
Shame on me.

Last Saturday was our first Ozarks Chapter of American Christian Writers (OCACW) meeting for the 2013-14 year. I need that kind of encouragement to keep writing. I hardly consider blogging (at least the kind of blogging that I do) as real writing, but it's something and I guess that's better than nothing.

Last week was a big week for me. I made a purchase that moves me a little closer to leaving behind the world of air traffic control and on to something else to occupy my time.

I purchased a magic show!

The program is a drug awareness/anti-drug type of show that is designed for elementary age kids. It is well done and delivers a strong message about Drugs, Strangers & other Dangers. I'm looking forward to working on the act and getting to the place that I can start booking the show. If I stay within a few hours of home for a short time, I'll be able to perform on most Thursdays and Fridays during the school year. Monday mornings are also a possibility.

If you are an elementary teacher, counselor or administrator (or are close to one), let me know if you are interested in more info. Part of doing this type of business will also involve promoting myself through media and other promotional means. That's a whole new aspect of the business for me. As a bonus, the the team that sold me the program will also help me get started with bookings and promotion. That was a key part of my decision to go ahead and take the risk.

In other news...
I'm looking forward to a brief presentation at the Tri-county Baptist Association's Annual Meeting this Thursday night. It's a new presentation, but I had the opportunity to share it with the member of our OCACW club on Saturday. I think it went well.

Next week is a the two day class on transitional pastoring--another step towards leaving the ATC gig behind.

I also have a couple of programs (my usual church event type) booked for October. As a side note to booking church programs, I think that booking school shows in the areas where I'm doing church events is something that I'll be working in the coming months.

I'll be flying solo for the first part of the week as Chris and a friend are getting ready to leave for Chicago for a few days. As a matter of fact, since I'm their ride to the airport, I'd better wrap this up and get myself ready to go.

John <><

2 comments:

Big Sky Heidi said...

What a terrific post-retirement pursuit: a magic show! Good going, John.

Bless.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

John, it sounds like an excellent way of getting the message across to elementary school children. Good going!

It's great to read you again.